ESP Horizon FR-II vs Jackson SL2H

Updated
Nagash
I usually tend to like weird guitar shapes like offset Vs or Explorer-alikes, but this time I'm simply seeking a high-end superstrat guitar. After looking around, I ended up caught between the following two : the ESP Horizon FR-II and the Jackson SL2H. Common features : Neck-through, dual humbuckers, 24 frets, floyd rose. Exactly what I want (plus the trans red finish ^^) Main differences : ESP has Mahogany body and EMGs. Retail price : around 2100 $ Jackson has Alder body and Seymour Duncan pickups. Retail price : 2750 $ So if anyone has tried out BOTH guitars, give me an advice please ! One of my close friends owns the ESP so I know it quite well, but I have no access to the Jackson so I can't tell if it is even better. And please DON'T suggest other manufacturers (especially not Ibanez) cause I'm only interested in these two guitars.
Beaten Beyond

No prob. It's no surprise that stuff gets forgotten in a thread like this. I can't believe this has carried on for 172 posts!

Nagash

Yeah, I think I'll stop the thread soon. I'm going for the Jackson, hopefully by next summer. It's a damn long time to wait, but at least as Pushead said I will have enough time to search a shop that has both guitars and I'll try them out. But I lean towards the Jackson.

Anyway thanks a lot to all of you who contributed here ! Even GFunk lol

Gfunk

I drove through Strasbourg a few years ago on my way to visit family in Karlsruhe.

load more replies (1 of 1)
MV-CTM

having shit tuning machines still makes tuning a pain in the ass, never cheap out on them

Piney Hills Music

the jacksons are equipt with the same tuners from gotoh as the ESPs

only Charvel has Grover Rotomatics.

Fender American Deluxes have Schaller Locking tuners

Pushead

Any comment about the screws that hold the jack plates, Piney?

Piney Hills Music

Pus, I missed the question?

brandono61cr

i really like the top on that import !

mad props to that guy on breaking a pup ring ! LOL

Nagash

Hey Pushead : Thanks a LOT for this thing ^^.

Michael G.

I own the Jackson USA Soloist SL2H MAH as well as 4 ESP’s. 2 of my ESP’s are Horizons from 1987. I bought my Jackson thinking it would compare to my ESPs, it doesn’t. There literally is no comparison. It’s like comparing a Bentley to a Smartcar. ESP has been whooping on Jackson for decades and I’m most certain they’ll continue to do so. 

The ‘feel’ is completely different. As is the tonal qualities and playability. That’s my opinion anyway...

Post to Thread