ESP Horizon FR-II vs Jackson SL2H

Updated
Nagash
I usually tend to like weird guitar shapes like offset Vs or Explorer-alikes, but this time I'm simply seeking a high-end superstrat guitar. After looking around, I ended up caught between the following two : the ESP Horizon FR-II and the Jackson SL2H. Common features : Neck-through, dual humbuckers, 24 frets, floyd rose. Exactly what I want (plus the trans red finish ^^) Main differences : ESP has Mahogany body and EMGs. Retail price : around 2100 $ Jackson has Alder body and Seymour Duncan pickups. Retail price : 2750 $ So if anyone has tried out BOTH guitars, give me an advice please ! One of my close friends owns the ESP so I know it quite well, but I have no access to the Jackson so I can't tell if it is even better. And please DON'T suggest other manufacturers (especially not Ibanez) cause I'm only interested in these two guitars.
Nagash

I'm a metal player as you expected, with my band project we play stuff that I would call "harmonic metal" as to create a new subgenre ^^. Sort of melodic stuff with heavy rhythms and lots of keys, just put Children Of Bodom and Sonata Arctica together and you'll be quite near it. LOL

I'm a big fan of active EMGs, they suit my playing style perfectly. I pick the strings quite softly, so I use active pickups and wicked string tension to compensate for that. I haven't tried many active Duncans but as far as I have seen, they are too loud for me so I keep with EMGs. Latest bump on a 81/89 set ^^.

I still can't fucking decide... I don't want the price to be the major issue, and both feel very nice in my hands. I'll just work for enough cash and then I'll buy both !

brandono61cr

I'm a metal player as you expected, with my band project we play stuff that I would call "harmonic metal" as to create a new subgenre ^^. Sort of melodic stuff with heavy rhythms and lots of keys, just put Children Of Bodom and Sonata Arctica together and you'll be quite near it. LOL

I'm a big fan of active EMGs, they suit my playing style perfectly. I pick the strings quite softly, so I use active pickups and wicked string tension to compensate for that. I haven't tried many active Duncans but as far as I have seen, they are too loud for me so I keep with EMGs. Latest bump on a 81/89 set ^^.

I still can't fucking decide... I don't want the price to be the major issue, and both feel very nice in my hands. I'll just work for enough cash and then I'll buy both !

Hramonic metal !!!!! that sounds boss !!!
you have anything out yet ?

Nagash

Nope nothing out for the moment with my band. We still search for a drummer and our keyboardist is not sure to integrate the band. Plus I'm studying the weirdest thing you can get in France so I have almost no time right now. We write a lot of stuff though (3 songs finished, 2 instrumental tracks, 9 other tracks on the way) ^^.

Now for you brandono61cr : I already checked the japanese website. nothing special there. About your neck advice : I have pretty small hands and short fingers (my articulations didn't grow when the rest of my skull did, LOL even if it's not a joke...) and I'm a lead guitarist, so the more shreddy the neck is, the better for me ! About the finish : I'd get the guitar in trans red and I like both finishes, so it's not the real issue.

Here's the way I choose my guitars :
- First the look, cause I won't like to play an ugly guitar, especially if there's another one that is really eye-catching right next to it. And the look and image of a musician is VERY determining on his success... sad but true !
- Second, the specs and the overall feel, unplugged. I take a closer look at the electronics and the hardware, and I play a bit focusing on the neck. Then I put a strap on and check the balance, cause neck heavy guitars suck.
- Finally, I plug it in and check the sound. I like rich cleans and cold distortion (weird, huh ? ^^). I always check the sound at last but it's also the most important thing to me (we are talking music, aren't we ? ^^)

brandono61cr

Nope nothing out for the moment with my band. We still search for a drummer and our keyboardist is not sure to integrate the band. Plus I'm studying the weirdest thing you can get in France so I have almost no time right now. We write a lot of stuff though (3 songs finished, 2 instrumental tracks, 9 other tracks on the way) ^^.

cool keep me posted
- First the look, cause I won't like to play an ugly guitar, especially if there's another one that is really eye-catching right next to it. And the look and image of a musician is VERY determining on his success... sad but true !
________________________________________________________________________________

see hear you are right but i mostly play in my room ( i have terrible stage fright so i could never be a stage musician :o:o:o) i dont realy care what my guitar looks like !. as long as it plays well i could play a guitar that looks like a bottle of hand sanitizer and be very pleased :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Nagash

The guitars I have kept : ESP SV Standard, ESP LTD M-50, ESP LTD F-104. I have owned a few Ibanez but I threw them away, they are all shit IMO. Plus the ugly guitar whose brand I don't even remember. Other than that I have played on many of my friends' guitars (ESP Horizon, Jackson Demmelition V, a BC Rich Warlock, Ibanez S, Strats, Les Pauls...)

What I want here is a guitar with a more traditional shape (superstrat) but still top-of-the-line shreddy.

@brandono : Worst thing when you play is when people look at you like "what the hell", that makes you feel really bad and you lose self confidence so... I try do get a guitar that I like and that doesn't "shock" people. I would still play the pink Jackson RR5FR lol cause it's cool :)

brandono61cr

LOL

sounds like your and ESP guy (:lolthat sv standard sounds sexy :lol) but it sounds like you still are more in the realm of jackson territory but who knows ? you might be lucky enough to own both of them some day !!;);)
also i take it you like floyds !:cool:
i think the best bridge of all time is a blocked OFR i like hard tails because i change tunings up 4 times a day:confused: and nothing feels better when palm muting than a floyd

Nagash

I'm on both ESP and Jackson in fact. I like ESP SVs, Eclipses, Horizons, I'd frickin love EXs if they had 24 frets; and I like Jackson Soloists, RR24(M)s, Kellys (ftw !) and Warriors. Mostly I like distinct and agressive shapes, as long as they are not "distinct and agressive" à la BC Rich ^^.

And yes I'm a Floyd guy. Thing is, I switch between Standard D, Standard E and sometimes Dropped D tunings, but I can't do without the floyd so in fact I need 3 guitars -__-'. I was thinking SV Standard, Jackson KE2, plus the superstrat we're talking about in this very thread.

I'm not afraid in putting a lot of cash into a guitar as long as I'm sure to get a good one, so I want to make the best choice possible. If you want an idea of my weird&wicked dream guitar list (if I only take series guitars and not customs) :
ESP SV Standard, Horizon FR-II, Eclipse-II, FX Standard, Forest Bass, BTL Bass
Jackson : SL2H, KE2, WR1, KV2, RR24M
Plus this goddamn Gibson Les Paul Custom that gives me ultra bumps ^^

Nagash

Yeah, money is the shit part of music. That's why I started this thread ^^

Nagash

-________-'

I said I'm not interested in other manufacturers nor models. I already checked everything I knew, I checked Ibanez, BC Rich, Dean, Gibson, Fender, Schecter, PRS, Cort, etc.

I already knew about the SLAT, but honestly, I'm looking for the manufacturer's really top-of-the-line guitar so I am sure to get the best one. And the BC Rich pro's are not to be compared with an Horizon or a USA Soloist... They are good for the money of course, but as I am ready to throw 2000 bucks on the table, I guess there is something even better to be found at such prices.

Piney Hills Music

I understand that...

I am just making sure it doesnt sound like Im trying to "sell you something"

Nagash

How could you anyway ^^, it's all right don't worry. Anyway my NGD is still far far away

Velt017

I've owned quite a few LTDs... and quite a few more jacksons.

The LTDs are a great value, but they just don't have the features I'm looking for. I'd have no problem shelling out a grand or a little more for a guitar with an ebony board and a hard shell case. Jackson just seems to have more models (at least now anyway, this wasn't always the case) That come neck through, ebony board, and with a HSC. The standard sharkfin inlays are sweet too. I highly dislike dots.

As far as the Soloist v. the Horizon its a tough call. I've always seen the horizon as a double cut guitar like the PRS double cut stuff while the soloist is a neck through super strat. I'm kind of loving Alder more than Mahogany nowadays, at least in sub 2k guitars. You'd probably be happy with either, but if it were my money, I'd go with the Jackson.

Dilzdo21

heard there will be a flamed maple m2 2011

Nagash

heard there will be a flamed maple m2 2011

Thanks for the spam.

And @ P.D. either post convincing arguments (which means NOT hater stuff) or just FUCK OFF MY THREAD, okay ?

To all the others, this case thing is a real bugger, but anyway cases can be replaced. I'm still leaning a bit more towards the Jackson, but I'm waiting for new info to come !

Beaten Beyond

BTW, I will mention that the Jackson USA Soloist HSCs are crap. Flimsy construction and the headstock pretty much sits in the bottom of the case just asking to be broken on impact...and I've heard of it happening with people setting the case down too hard, case falling over, etc. Overall, really junky cases for otherwise classy guitars. I almost wish Jackson would reduce the price and sell them without a case. That way you could put the money toward a proper case.

The new style ESP cases work decent, but they're rather plain. The old ones with white piping on the outside were really nice.

Mushroony

BTW, I will mention that the Jackson USA Soloist HSCs are crap. Flimsy construction and the headstock pretty much sits in the bottom of the case just asking to be broken on impact...and I've heard of it happening with people setting the case down too hard, case falling over, etc. Overall, really junky cases for otherwise classy guitars. I almost wish Jackson would reduce the price and sell them without a case. That way you could put the money toward a proper case.

The new style ESP cases work decent, but they're rather plain. The old ones with white piping on the outside were really nice.
That's true, the case isn't the best i've seen, but as long as you don't throw it around, it should do just fine.

I havn't owned a single shity Jackson guitara in my life. And I wont do it either. Why should I? I've tried those guitars and man...... Me don't like at all.... I don't like them DUDE. They're made in the USA dude. I don't give a shit if they're quality guitars, I don't like them compared to ESP. FR II = 1799 USD incl. case , Jackson SL2H 2299. I can tot up everything to you quick now. Jackson are not my style of guitar.
Ok, we got the point, YOU don't like Jacksons, because YOU obviosly are a moron. Now please leave if you don't have any funded arguments.

load more replies (1 of 1)
brandono61cr

i dont remember who , but i recall someone saying that the jacksons neck is quatersawn (true) but the horizon's is not. the particular horizon that i played had a painted back , so im not sure but my ltd has a quatersawn neck so i can guesss that the ESP will have one too.
im infering tho , so take it with a grain of salt !:lol

Mushroony

i dont remember who , but i recall someone saying that the jacksons neck is quatersawn (true) but the horizon's is not. the particular horizon that i played had a painted back , so im not sure but my ltd has a quatersawn neck so i can guesss that the ESP will have one too.
im infering tho , so take it with a grain of salt !:lol
That was me. And it'd surprise me if you ltd was quartersawn. None of my ESP's are, and i've never seen one befor either.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nagash

Neither have I but I haven't made out the real difference yet, to me it's just "maple". But if anyone could tell me what the big deal is, I'll take a lesson, I know a lot of things but I can still learn some more !

Pushead

Jackson uses quarter sawn maple in an effort to reduce warping in a single piece neck. ESP uses three-piece laminated maple necks for the same reason. I'm sure both construction methods have produced examples with warping, but if the wood is dried and prepared properly, the risks are greatly reduced.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Horizon and the SL2H are really very different guitars. Since you can't play these exact guitars, perhaps you should find guitars made with similar materials to both of these and see if you prefer the tone of one over the other.

Nagash

Since you can't play these exact guitars, perhaps you should find guitars made with similar materials to both of these and see if you prefer the tone of one over the other.

I can play the Horizon every day if I want to, in fact I just want to know if in the end the SL2H isn't even better for me. As I said I have been lucky enough to be able to play a bit on a SL1 which is exactly the same than the SL2H apart from the pickup configuration, and I've been told the ESP M-II is similar to the SL2H. I can also play the M-II every day so for now I'm quite convinced that the Jackson is the one I should get. It's just sooo nice to live 10 minutes away from a guitar shop ^^

Still waiting for some more info, I'm pretty lunatic with details since it's a 2000 bucks to pay.

Nagash

Hey people, maybe that's because my eyes have crappy image definition but I don't SEE a difference between quartersawn and regular. Could anyone actually EXPLAIN the difference (man I sound stupid ^^) ?

Post to Thread