My official Mummy thread.

Updated
My official Mummy thread.
Just bought a M-100 body with floyd route, 1 vol, 1 tone. I have officially started my Mummy Project. Here's what I'm thinking for a shopping list. ESP M Body - $54 ESP pointed reverse neck - $ 60-80 MUMMY DECAL SET - $69 on ebay floyd rose SPECIAL - $50 new on ebay, $80 retail Dragonfire 81/81 active set - $80 ESP left handed black tuners - $FREE! thanks Tondog Black dome knobs - $10 Kirk Hammett Mummy Eye of Horus inlay decal set - $20 Paint and clear coat. - Alot. Not sure yet. Suggestions?
Shaun

So if i clear the primer, do i need to sand the clear off before black? Or just spray black over the cleared primer

strngthbyndstrngth

So if i clear the primer, do i need to sand the clear off before black? Or just spray black over the cleared primer

You dont want to sand it off, just sand it so all the "orange peel" is gone, so it looks evenly dull. Anything you paint should be sanded first or you will have adhesion issues. What are you using for paints?

Shaun

well I used rustoleum auto primer, im probably gonna use the duplicolor black like you use. not sure about clear yet

strngthbyndstrngth

well I used rustoleum auto primer, im probably gonna use the duplicolor black like you use. not sure about clear yet

I do NOT use Dupli-color. I use all automotive paints sprayed from a gun. Usually Du-pont Chroma base coats and clears (price out a gallon of Du-pont clear with reducer and hardener.....it's more than you have into your whole project), but have used others like PPG and House Of Kolor. Using rattle cans kinda sucks......you have to wait a long time for them to completely dry before re-coating, and the finish is not nearly as hard as a catalyzed material (a material the you ad hardener to so it chemically hardens)

Shaun

....damn..who said duplicolor? i swear someone from the forum mentioned duplicolor, sorry bout that

Shaun

well what do you recommend for a spray can then?

strngthbyndstrngth

You are using rattle cans, so it really doesn't matter. But now you should be realizing why it is so much for me to do the job. Honestly, I have never done 1 with rattle cans so I can't tell you for sure which ones work good and which don't. Read the cans directions and see what it says for dry time before you re-coat, some say as much as 2 weeks.

shathe

well what do you recommend for a spray can then?

whatever you use, if you're not familiar with using cans, do a little research on how to keep the can from screwing over your project. e.g., make sure you keep your tips clean (pop em off and throw em in some thinner), go REALLY slow (not with the 'strokes', but with the coverage/buildup), try and get your coats as thin as possible and don't get impatient. take it out in the sun and look for runs after every coat...

Shaun

alright I'll make sure to read up before buying some

Shaun

dude I got 10 esp decals for 5 on ebay...I expect to be able to find a custom one for cheap

shathe

dude I got 10 esp decals for 5 on ebay...I expect to be able to find a custom one for cheap

dude, design your own label and spray it on...

load more replies (1 of 1)
Shaun

No new pics, but I officially just bought a decal set from Bill. Says they'll ship out Monday.

Tondog

Both of those took two weeks to cure fully. In this heat and humidity...longer.

Shaun

Trying not to.. going to go get a squeegee now so theres no damn bubbles

ESP 348

Trying not to.. going to go get a squeegee now so theres no damn bubbles

Good man. :)

Pushead

Anyone know where I can get a cheaper squeegee?

Shaun

I certainly dont..ive lookee all over and cant find one. im actually borrowing one from my friend

Shaun

Anybody know what kind of environment i should do this in? I have a garage, and a basement. I dont want dust to fall on the decal while imputting it on.. that creates bubbles right? Point being i need the bestplace to put on this decal

Trendkill

Looking great man :)

ESP 348

Looking great man :)

+1, so far so good! :D

Tondog

When you get it done...let me know so I can see it up close and deliver you the tuners!

I have no idea but wouldn't you want the black paint around the rest of the body on first?

Shaun

well Bill says I should clear the whole body, then paint the back black....but I dont know..

Post to Thread