My official Mummy thread.

Updated
My official Mummy thread.
Just bought a M-100 body with floyd route, 1 vol, 1 tone. I have officially started my Mummy Project. Here's what I'm thinking for a shopping list. ESP M Body - $54 ESP pointed reverse neck - $ 60-80 MUMMY DECAL SET - $69 on ebay floyd rose SPECIAL - $50 new on ebay, $80 retail Dragonfire 81/81 active set - $80 ESP left handed black tuners - $FREE! thanks Tondog Black dome knobs - $10 Kirk Hammett Mummy Eye of Horus inlay decal set - $20 Paint and clear coat. - Alot. Not sure yet. Suggestions?
Pushead

Get a pickup ring and find out for sure. Otherwise it looks like someone is trimming a bit off the bottom of his fretboard, and hoping the scale length is correct when this specific neck is attached to this specific body.

Shaun

well the neck and body were from the same guitar (the seller confirmed this) so if i take a little off the edge of the fretboard, it wont change the length of the neck will it? It's still in the same place

Shaun

I grabbed a pickup ring and put it on and the neck and it appears to line up fine, the edge of the fingerboard and the ring are touching, but they line up correctly and I think I'll be fine. I'll try to put up some pics later tonight

Murdoc

They're meant to be snug, it's probably normal. I mean, the seller said it was the neck that was with that body and he hasn't ever lied to you before, right?:lol

Shaun

OKAY UPDATE
I have sanded the neck and body A LOT with 60 to get paint off and a 3M "Medium - Fine" sanding sponge, then a little steel wool, should I keep sanding with lower grit? or am I ready to prime?

ALSO! should I paint it before I apply the decal? or prime, decal, tape off, the paint and clear?

SweetLeaf

I would prime, paint, decal, and then clear. I've never painted a guitar, so wait until someone knowledgeable chimes in.

EDIT: Someone knowledgeable chimed before me...

Shaun

Not sure if anyone is reall following this thread, if so, sorry I havent updated in a while.. I will upload some photos in a matter of minutes!

shathe

nice project man. the wood on the body looks better than i expected.

btw, stewmac is a good resource for supplies and info on repairing/modifying guitars.
good luck, take your time, and triple check before each step.

ESP 348

So far these pics look good young fella. :)

load more replies (1 of 1)
Shaun

Yeah the wood itself does look nice! When i stripped it i had the slightest idea to make the natural Ouija..
And yes i do know about stewmac, love their finishing and diy stuff! Thanks!

Shaun

Okay so im gonna sand a little and lightly prime again. Should i remove the tape to sand and then re tape before i paint black? Or just leave the tape on the whole time? I'll have an edge by the fretboard if i leave the tape on wont i? I need to sand that edge off

Shaun

Okay i sanded and re primed. Ill put some pics up soon

Tondog

OK I'm confused...do you have an entire body decal for the Mummy or are you going to try and paint it yourself?

Shaun

Im putting on a decal but im paiting everything black first

Shaun

It does sound logical to not need to paint the face of the body, i think i was juat nervous about masking the decal because i dont want to ruin anything...but you are kind of the expert!

strngthbyndstrngth

Put the decal on, then clear coat it. The clear will protect the print. Clear right over the primer, the whole thing. Then sand it with 500, mask like the pics and spray black, unmask, spray clear etc.... If you want to completely hide the decal edge, you will need to clear at least 2 times, if not more. So clear it after the decal, before black, to build up some clear (and protect the print). Then after the black and a re-clear you should be able to sand it flat and buff. If you sand through and expose the edge, you will have to touch up the black, and clear it again, then it should sand flat. Good luck

Oh and definitely unmask before sanding the primer, then re-mask. Otherwise the tape edge will be huge and you wont be able to bury it when you clear coat. I would also mask the sides of the neck pocket, if you build up too much material there, when you put the neck in, it can crack the finish.

Shaun

Thanks for the advice man! It will really help! Any kind of "fellow forum member" discount on a decal? ;)

strngthbyndstrngth

Thanks for the advice man! It will really help! Any kind of "fellow forum member" discount on a decal? ;)

When you're ready for the decal, let me know I will hook you up.

Shaun

Well the sooner the better, what are you thinkin'? Ill pm you

Post to Thread