Quick Questions involving preamps

Updated
zerosk8r900
Is a Line 6 Pod XT Pro Rack or a Pod X3 Pro Rack useable as a preamp? I have a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. If it were useable, would it be loud enough to be used in a live/concert setting? I'm searching for a cheap, but decent sounding preamp right now, so throw out suggestions as well! Thanks in advance.
Metaldude30

Hell yeh it is, I'm sure the 50watt peavey would be plenty loud, 50 tube watts is loud as fuk!

Mike E Majik

Hell yeah.. go with the pod x3 pro.

LordCliffton

ANY of the Solid State Line6 stuff including the entire POD line IS A PREAMP. The bonus is that it has built in effects.

Line6 is the new ROCKTRON, who was doing preamps w/fx LOOOOOONG before line6 was even thought of. Rocktron is better to some degree though becuz they offer complete adjustment of all parameters.. but Line6 has gotten much better at it with recent models. However, Rocktron has the VooDoo VALVE, which has a tube in it to warm up the sounds some, so PLUS!

NOTE: I would NOT use their TUBE heads/combos that are designed by Bogner as a preamp tho as they are designed as a true preamp + TUBE power section(the Bogner part). Without being hooked up to a load such as a speaker cab or dummy load damage to the output transformer will occur.

avi8r2005

ANY of the Solid State Line6 stuff including the entire POD line IS A PREAMP. The bonus is that it has built in effects.

Line6 is the new ROCKTRON, who was doing preamps w/fx LOOOOOONG before line6 was even thought of. Rocktron is better to some degree though becuz they offer complete adjustment of all parameters.. but Line6 has gotten much better at it with recent models. However, Rocktron has the VooDoo VALVE, which has a tube in it to warm up the sounds some, so PLUS!

NOTE: I would NOT use their TUBE heads/combos that are designed by Bogner as a preamp tho as they are designed as a true preamp + TUBE power section(the Bogner part). Without being hooked up to a load such as a speaker cab or dummy load damage to the output transformer will occur.

finally someone gives some recognition to rocktron stuff. I just recently picked up a used Rocktron Piranha preamp, which has 2 12ax7 tubes in it and this thing is fucking killer. the gain sounds are killer plus it is midi so you can run it with a midi control which is a bonus. rocktron made and still does make some awesome stuff. The Voodoo valve is an awesome unit, had one a few years ago. It's fairly complex though with all of the parameters you can tweak, it's even more so than some Line 6 stuff, plus I think it sounds better. The Prophesy preamp is very stellar as well.

Post to Thread