pro audio impendance matching?

Updated
DeathrollJM
i know that the impedance of a guitar signal is not the same as the impedance of a pro audio input/output. I have been wanting to plug my guitar into my computer for direct stuff (vst amps an whatnot). I've looked around for the impedance needed for a pro audio device but i cannot find it. anyone know why device i can use to get my impedances between my guitar and sound card to match. This obviously is not a DI becuase i have one and used it and i got the same results (highs are killed, everything sounds blurred) and i know that DI's are not impedance matchers, just are line level adjusters. EDIT: i see that DI's match the impedances, however my Preamp/DI doesn't do squat. anyone know what cheap DI is good for running a guitar into an audio interface?
DeathrollJM

i have the emu 1212m card, its pro audio impedance no preamp, and there isn't a way to adjust the impedance for guitar input. I do have a tascam us-122, it has a guitar input, but it has been obsolete for me since my Emu, it had a lot of things wrong with it, not the best usb device, i wanted to test it out but i lost the driver instillation disc to see if it fixes the issue when i play the revalver. my berhinger preamp claims that it can be used for DI, even says on the label on the preamp and says its a DI in the manual, but it sounds messed up with it as well, it just adds horrible noise with high gain.

If i were to get a DI, any specific as to what type, i noticed that some were passive (non powered), others active (battery powered XLR) and there were some that didn't specify if they were active or passive but looked like they had to be powered, so i don't know if there are 2 or 3 types of DI's

sirsloop

yeh... I just happened to have one for a home PA/party rig so I adapted it for the guitar. I'm sure there are real preamps... ones that are rack mountable.

DeathrollJM

i have the correct line level, it just sounds like crap, no matter what i do, guitar directly into the sound card, guitar into a powered non true bypass pedal into sound card, and guitar into preamp into sound card. the line level is where it is supposed to be, even when the guitar is plugged straight into the sound card, its weird i know. cables i am using a monster instrument cable from the guitar into the device i use to attain my line level from that device to the sound card i am using a monster pro audio cable.

the sound is obvious that the impedance, the ohm rating, the amount of resistance (whatever you want to call it) from my incoming signal is not high enough to sound correct, even though the volume (line level) is in the right spot, it sounds horrible, like the tone pots are permanently turned down, when they are not, i check every time. Playing revlaver for metal + sound of the tone pot being turned down = epic phail

Post to Thread