licenced floyd vs floyd rose

Updated
Borked Bob
ive been wondering for a while now what the heck is the difference between the two, ive tried guitars with both licenced and none and ive found no difference, help?!
MyApocalypse

Original Floyds tend to be more reliable when it comes to staying in tune and such..i've tried both, and i own a guitar with an OFR. I definitely like the Originals better.

Chester73

The biggest difference is that the OFR is made out of hardened steel, and to a higher spec than most licensed versions, the exception being the Schaller floyd which is made of the same materials and in the same factory as the OFR.
Another difference is that all the parts are steel, this isn't the case with the licensed versions, found on Jackson guitars for example, which have plastic fine tuning screws and string blocks.
In my own experience OFRs are more stable, and will out last any licensed floyd.;)

LordCliffton

Another difference is that all the parts are steel, this isn't the case with the licensed versions, found on Jackson guitars for example, which have plastic fine tuning screws and string blocks.

They dont have PLASTIC on them you foob :confused: :x I've been playing licensed Floyds for years and have never ever seen that-ever. EVER.

DeathrollJM

my M-207 has a licensed floyd, no plastic parts what-so-ever, whoever thinks that they use plastic parts is a total n00b.

N3rdAl3rt

OFR>LFR

/thread

ozzuk1

The general licensed floyds tend to not last as long and also tend to not hold tune as well as an original Schaller or Gotoh floyd, this is also down to the springs.

Orig/schaller floyds tend to come with decent springs as is while lfr's use cheap crap ones, occasionally using too few springs causes isntabillity...

I added an extra spring to one lfr and I greatly improved the operation and tuning stabillity...

I think the ibanez EDGE III's have some plastic parts....

I much prefer using a Schaller or ofr or decent trem liek a ZR or lo PRO EDGE as they tend to feel much more solid, I always worry that string swill snap on cheaper units or popout as they don't have the same solid feel, my Schaller unit's feel/act like tanks in comparison...

exhibit-sbt

licensed are just make of lesser quality, loose tuning more so, over time and in dives..

I have both, the licensed one i just don't do anything serious with because its not going to take the abuse, the original can dive quite a few times before any tune whatsoever. Licensed Floyds work fine if you dont plan on abusing the hell out of them, personally they get the job done just as well. But as you upgrade guitars, an Original is a good things to keep your eye out for.

57Octane

I've got two guitars that came standard with LFRs. A KH-202 and a Squier Showmaster.
The LFR on the showmaster has never given me any problems. It holds tune wonderfully regardless of how much I wank on the whammy bar, the strings never slip, no problems what-so-ever.
The LFR on the 202... sucked nuts. It was hell to tune up, it barely held tune, I couldn't use the whammy at all because the strings would slip out of the saddles, and regardless of what I did and replaced to fix it, it wouldn't work right. So I replaced it. With an OFR.
OFR=pwnage. :cool:

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread