Mesa Quad - Where to buy tubes?

Updated
konan
hi guys, going to pay for my quad preamp today. where's the best place to order new tubes for that quad? which tubes would u recommend? or should i just trust the recommendation of the store? thanks, konan
konan

additional question about the mesa 295 poweramp, just read the manual which says that these tubes are used:

driver tubes:
4x 12AX7A, also known as 7025 or ECC83

power tubes:
6l6 GC's -> MESA STR-420
EL-84's -> MESA STR-440

Are these tubes still avalaible?

/edit
by the way u may have noticed i'm totally new to tubes/amps with tubes, so plz be gentle ;)

hessian101

well- I am something of a tube noob myself, but I think I can answer your questions-

1- don't order them off the internet. find a store that can sell and install them- not because they are hard to install, but because they can test them to see if there are any duds- which are actually very common.

2- I would use 'Groove tubes'. they are supposed to have the highest amount of gain. Its what I put in my Quad. If not, just ask the guy at the store.

3- Yes. All of those types of tubes are still manufactured.

- also, make sure that it actually needs the new tubes... Preamp tubes last a long time.

LordCliffton

Groove Tubes are simply re-labeled tubes made by many makers such as sovtek.
I say "Go straight to the source!"... buying them off the net is not a bad thing. You can get a matched quad for about $44 shipped-like I did when I retubed my 5150. Got em on ebay & no probs whatsoever.

The good thing about brands such as MESA(which are also re-labeled tubes btw) and GT(and Fender as well) tubes is that they use a numbering system, which makes it very easy when retubing-if you were satisfied with your current selection you can just ask for the same # type of tubes.. "Gimme a quad of the #7 tubes please"... very easy indeed.

Lastly, GAIN is not exactly a quality I look for when trying to get tubes for a CLEAN power source... :x

Preamp tubes on the other hand is another story. ;)
Good luck!

hessian101

Lastly, GAIN is not exactly a quality I look for when trying to get tubes for a CLEAN power source... :x

Preamp tubes on the other hand is another story. ;)
Good luck!

I was talking about the preamp tubes...

LordCliffton

I was talking about the preamp tubes...

undestood.

Post to Thread