Peavey JSX or 6505+

Updated
metallist
Turns out, there is a peavey dealer in my county who is bringing them in for relatively cheap. So boys which would it be, he also brings Line6 and Laney, in case there is anything from them that is worth while too, but I think I would like to stick with tubes. So....which amp ould you people pick, I know the JSX is diverse and the 6505+ is higher Gain, but I have only Played the JSX combo, not the 6505. I like a lot of Gain, but would the JSX produce it, I really liked the clean channel on the JSX as well. Toughts?
BrazilianBootyLover

like a lot of Gain, but would the JSX produce it

I play melodic death metal and I had a jsx. I liked it over my 6505. :)

Dark Alone

They're both excellent amps. The JSX is definitely more versatile, with an excellent clean channel, and more than enough gain on the Crunch Channel, not to mention the Ultra Channel!

But the 5150 has THE SOUND. It just has an insanely awesome dirty channel. No denying it. It's a monster. But overall, it's a less versatile amp.

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd be pretty torn as well... I guess I'd lean towards the JSX, only because I need a good clean channel, and I can dial in a good heavy tone on just about anything halfway decent. So the JSX would serve me just fine.

Hope that helps somewhat.

nivek41

I agree with Darkalone. I've had a 5150 and a 6505 in the past. I was never happy with the clean tone or the amp at lower gain. It is basically only good for Metal.

The JSX you can get a good metal tone (not as good as the 6505) but also can get a good rock tone and killer clean tone. It also has the built in noise gate which is a good feature.

The JSX will more than likely run you an extra 250-300 dollars but to me it's worth it.

load more replies (2 of 2)
Turbo Rico

JSX any day over the 6505. For me the 6505 has too much gain and sounds blurry when You play fast, IMO. The JSX has it all and the Ultra channel has all the gain You´ll ever need.

BrazilianBootyLover

JSX any day over the 6505. For me the 6505 has too much gain and sounds blurry when You play fast, IMO. The JSX has it all and the Ultra channel has all the gain You´ll ever need.

Plus a billion! :D

LordCliffton

just tossing in my 2¢ here...
don't think that Laney only does SS amps... Opeth use them and they are true tube amps.. good stuff fo sho.

BrazilianBootyLover

the gain channel on the 6505 is soooo aggressive, tight and, overall, great-sounding...

I found none of these things when I had my 6505 and I've even got tons a settings off the numerous sites and they all sounded like shit. When I got my 6505 I let my other guitarist use my jsx and the jsx just stomped all over the 6505.

vitod

Chose the amp for your needs. Don't care much for cleans, (like me) 6505. NEED cleans and cruch, JSX. Period.;)

load more replies (1 of 1)
espdood

I found none of these things when I had my 6505 and I've even got tons a settings off the numerous sites and they all sounded like shit. When I got my 6505 I let my other guitarist use my jsx and the jsx just stomped all over the 6505.

I had a similiar experience with that too, except mine was a 5150 II. I had it for about a year and tried every setting and recommended ones imaginable and it all sounded too middy and too monotone. I had to pull the gain knob up to 7-8 just to even get somewhat of a saturated distortion. Something must've been wrong since everybody sets it at 4-5 for the 5150/6505 and 5-6 for the 5150 II/6505 plus to get the brootalz distortion. Tried the same model at guitar center (only difference is its rebadged as a 6505 plus), and it kicked ass. I know amps and guitars even if its the same exact model sounds different and I didn't realize it was that big of a difference.

load more replies (1 of 1)
gorsch

The biggest improvement you can make with the 5150 or 6505 series amps is to experiment with different pre amp tube combinations. Also I find a sonic maximizer really helps too but you cant go higher than 6 with those or it drastically reshapes your EQ. My 5150II holds up really well with my buds Engl (both powerball and blackmore) and my other buds triple recs. It's all in the EQ, pickups, and honestly.........your hands. I sound like shit when I play a mesa. Yes there are better amps, but they do hold there own and are built like tanks. My only gripe is I'd like to not need the BBE. I could get by with out it but it's not the same beast. Now for the original question, my amp eats my buds JSX alive. My clean channel does fine, his may be "better," but I can get it pretty clean. Words of wisdom, if you do get the JSX throw in some 6L6's instead of the EL34's. It does make the gain a little bit more "gainy." If I were to get one thats what I'd do. I almost bought one but decided I want a Engl Powerball more.

LordCliffton

ya, even new tubes can be bad tubes.. sadly.

I know I bum hard when my amp just isn't up to par... all I can say is Good Luck!
:)

Dilzdo21

6505 all the way if u dont use any cleans, jsx is good but el34's suck, let me just tell you this

the jsx i tried most of the knobs were maxed out, same with XXX

on the 6505 i have gain and volume to spare by a long shot

exhibit-sbt

Ive played on them both... I like the xxx more for my style of music, paid 411$ on a lucky win on ebay, came with el34's swapped for mesa boogie 6l6s. Its my budget dual rectifer with 3 channels. money saved, i bought another guitar. :)

Post to Thread