tube/pedal question

Updated
electricevil
Heyas, I'm looking to setup a great sounding distortion pedal (ie. kranks dist. maximus) in front of a tube amp. In order to get the best tone out of the pedal, would you want a tube amp with incredible cleans but also alot of headroom in order to keep the amps overdrive effecting the pedals distortion at higher volumes? I hope that makes some sense. in other words, a clean tube amp would need plenty of headroom in order to achieve maximum tone at higher volumes...correct? thanks
esp_gaijin

i see what you mean elec,
my experience with low watt tube amps tho is they don't have high headroom at all, with a humbucker guitar they just fart and mud out way too quickly.

i'd suggest no lower than 40watts, and 6L6 or KT88 tubes and maybe not EL34's and definitely not EL84's. ...maybe a 50 watt el34 amp would work, the marshall jtm reissue and 50watt plexi reissue would probably work for you, but not low cost.

maybe look at fender devilles, peavey classics, etc.

as for dist. pedals, there are just way too many to choose from, it's nuts.

coyote

The distortion from a decent tube amp is going to be better then distortion from a pedal.

Some people use a overdrive pedal in front of a distorted amp just to push it a little harder.

If your dead set on a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp your almost better off with a solid state amp.

electricevil

thanks for the feedback people.

See, I've been looking at getting the Randall rm20hb head. It's a single channel 20w tube head. It also has a single slot for any MTS module I want.

I want a great higain tube sound, but I don't want to lose the ability to play cleans.

I was thinking of getting a blackface module which has great cleans and getting a dist. pedal when I want some crunch.
OR
get an Ultra module for great tube crunch and just dial back the gain for cleans... I think the second option is more reasonable.

so many choices

load more replies (2 of 2)
Post to Thread