Line 6 Spider valve or Vox AD50

Updated
loversmoon
I am torn between these two amps...anyone have suggestions? I play mostly metal but occasionally I will put a bit of blues in there. The line 6 spider valve is tempting because it was designed by Bogner. I can't really afford to just run out and get a Bogner...lol.
Piney Hills Music

well, i have only have heard bad reviews (from people i know that tried em) so I dont know.

can you get the metal sound you want out of the Vox?

loversmoon

oddly enough yeah. they can get pretty decent tones as far as metal.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Stephy

the spider valve sounds like it has tubes in it.

loversmoon

yeah I know this. There is no comparison as to if this will sound like a real bogner ubershall or x-tacy...my question is which will sound better between the two...vox or line 6.

Stephy

I agree. I'd go with Line 6.

Justinschut

definately the Spider.... I compared the Vox with a Spider II and even the Spider II sounded much better (IMO)

mefast

I currently am using just a little Line 6 Spider III combo, but I've played with a bunch of their tube amps. The Spider Valve through one of their cabs was amazing, plus with the built-in presets comes in handy. I don't know enough about the Vox to comment on it, but I want to buy the Line 6 myself sometime.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ibanezaholic

IMO anything with the line 6 name on it is fail. all there crap sounds the same

capoeiraesp

If the spidervalve and vox is what you're restricting yourself to then dude go with the spider valve. Sit down and have a good play with either the 212 or the head as they're really impressive. For metal it has a wide variety of tones and you can get some sweeet blues tones. Head over to the line6 forums cause there's a bunch of clips and interesting, critical reviews. Some spider valves come biased a bit to cold and alot of guys have re-biased and re-tubed and have been blown away by the results, apparently JJ's are very nice in em (judging by a guy who tested Groove tubes, Stock sovteks, Mesas and JJ's with different preamp tubes).

loversmoon

restriction is a 400-600 price tag...any other suggestions are welcome

the_emptier

the line 6, im still not a huge line 6 fan but the vox is to hard finding a good tone, especially fast. the line 6 is pretty self-efficient, has a lot of cool features but doesnt take overly long to find a nice tone

ESPRockBeast

I think that most people probably feel that the Spider Valve falls short on the built up hype, plus you're looking at twice the price of the Vox as well.

The Line6 has the capability of programming 4 different presets (instead of 2 with Vox) which many people dig, and there is a ton of artist and song presets.

But The effects section has a little more options on the Vox IMO. It certainly has a less "processed" sounding clean tone. So if you're going for a decent blues tone the Vox "Boutique OD" and "Blackface" amp models should fit the bill.

SGCustom

I think the Spider Valve sounds really good.

loversmoon

I ended up going with the vox for now. Should be a decent practice amp for bedroom. Once I feel I am good enough I will graduate into something larger...Like a Marshall or a Peavey.

Justinschut

too bad.. Why didnt you go with the Line 6 ?

Post to Thread