Switching out speakers

Updated
ShredofTurin
Alright so I've had a 1960A for the past five years and never really found that sound I was looking for. I play through a Viper 1000 and a 6505+. I really wanted to try out a cabinet with Vintage 30's so I picked up a Randall 4x12 with Vintage 30's in 4/16 mono 8ohm stereo. I immediately fell inlove with the tone, I was able to dial in tones I always wanted but just never could achieve. So much more bass and clarity than the GT-75's. I got carried away and played through both cabs, sounded awesome but the Marshall just sounds too papery in the mix still. I recently was able to pick up a G-Flex 4x12 locally and I am absolutely blown away by the projection of this cabinet. The bass response seems to spill out and flood the room, rather than just shake the room and get a headache. The speakers that came in the Genz Benz sound great but remind me alot of the 1960A. I would like to if I could, install Vintage 30's in the G-Flex and be able to play it with my Randall, the only thing is I'd have to match up the ohms in speakers because the G-flex is 4/16 ohm stereo and 8 ohm mono. So heres the other thing, Im stupid where should I start.
willhaven

I went from two Marshall cabinets, one with V30s and one with a mix of 75s and two Vox bulldogs. I got a Mesa recto cabinet with V30s. Even against the Marshall cab with V30s, it was tighter, fuller and a lot less "buzzy" sounding than the Marshall cabs were.

I tune fairly low and needed the definition. That and the addition of Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis (Blues Saraceno) humbuckers have really tightened up and clarified my sound.

I would assume that the cabinet size and maybe wood density play such a large part in why two cabinets with the same speakers sound so different.

espsy

Marshall cabs are made really cheaply with particle board not marine ply. i have used Marshall cabs with 5150's in the past and i just don't like Marshall cabs, they just don't seem to have any projection or good tone. Any good V30 loaded 4x12 cab like a Mesa, Bogner, Randall, Splawn cab with the 5150/6505, will absolutely kill the Marshall for tone. Even a Chinese made Framus Dragon 4x12 is better.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread