Actives on my Alexi

Updated
Dingbat-Walabi
I'd like to upgrade to active pickups, either emgs or blackouts. I'd like a sharp, heavy tone and I've been recommended the emg 85, I think, since it sounds nice with alder bodies. How do they compare with the SD Blackouts? also, I have the alexi gainbooster in my guitar so do I need to add another battery or what?
zombieattack9

you'll probably end up getting a ton of feedback since you already have the booster installed. Id either live with a passive pickup, or take the circuit out. You cant lose either way with EMG's or Blackouts. Just different strokes.

ozzuk1

I think an 85 in the bridge would sound much ncier and meatier than an 81, do the blackouts have an alnico magnet pickup?

And yes you would need to either wire the battery from the boost to the pickup or much simpler add another for the emg prvided there's enough space...

Which alexi do you have?

Greatdeceiver

I recommend Bareknuckle Warpig. This is not a brand every metal player knows about, but it is REAL good. Consider it :)

Butch

yeah i'd def like to try them out

asbloodrunsblack

you said you wanted a ' sharp ' tone , i'd go with the 81 over the 85 for that . Greatdeciever is right though you should check out the bareknuckle pickups .
Dimarzio X2n's are pretty good for metal too , passive also ,

njrusmc

The 81 will give you more brutality, a sharper attack. The 85 will be fatter with a diminished attack overall. Different strokes ...

xcc

I swear by the 81s ;)

Post to Thread