Help with string gauges

Updated
yearofthespider2k3
Heres the deal. I play my viper tuned to DADGBE. The low e (or low D) feels too floppy for me though. Now when I tune everything standard the low e feels fine. I am already using ernie ball not even slinkys gauged 12-56. So is this a setup problem or is it reasonable to go heavier? Also how high could I go before I could start to twist the neck? Are sets made to prevent that? I just want that standard tuned feel with a lower tuning. Any Help?
OutlawTorn

:confused:

you've stumped me..... .12 gauge strings and in Drop D and its floppy?

.12s are heavy enough IMO....i play heavy .10s in D and there not floppy, but i have it set up for Eb so a half step down isnt much of a difference

yearofthespider2k3

I like the low e to feel tight is all. If someone else were playing it they would prolly say its ok. Am I wrong in thinking a neck adjustment would fix this problem?

DNAx

I tuned the low E to an A# and it was starting to get floppy. So not sure how yours can get floppy by tuning it to drop D, because my string stays nice and tight in dropped D and I use .11 strings. And I can't really tell whether adjusting the neck is going to help, but it doesn't seem like a sound idea.

yearofthespider2k3

Thats what adjusting the truss rod is for isn't it to adjust the neck for the proper amount pull or give against the strings? I mean just by looking it does seem like the neck is bowed towards the body just a touch. By putting more pull on the neck it would counteract this as well as pulling the strings tighter thereby possibly correcting the flopiness. Thats what I'm thinking anyway thanks for the info thus far fellas.

OutlawTorn

A truss rod is a guitar part used to stabilize and adjust the lengthwise forward curvature (also called relief), of the neck. Usually it is a steel rod that runs inside the neck and has a bolt that can be used to adjust its tension
..take the guitar to a TECH and have them set the thing up

.:st.anger:.

when you adjust string guages you have to check your bridge height/intonation to make sure it's all sounding proper...may want to check...if you're unfamiliar - take it to a tech and have them look at it

Post to Thread