Neck Reshape

Updated
Kadri
I need some help fellas... I have an ESP vintage plus S FR with 1 piece maple neck. It has that "Thin U" neck shape which is nice, but lately I've been thinking to reshape it, make it thinner just like the M-II shape. My questions are: 1. Is it safe to do this neck mod (make it thinner)? I can't risk to have any further problems, whatever it may be, because of this mod. 2. How this mod will affect my guitar's natural tone, sustain, etc. ? Thx in advance
andrei

well, yes, you can...
is it safe? - as long as you don't lose comon sense.
it's important that you seal the wood properly afterwards (lacquer).
no idea how it'll affect the tone/sustain.

my 2c: don't do an amateur job on a genuine esp.
it's one thing to mess with a cheap copy or a low end guitar (with a decent chance of improving playability) and another to ruin a decent instrument.
the thin U profile... works just fine.
think about it.

ps: i did this on a strat copy with a baseballbat-like neck, to get closer to the thin U profile and satin feel, and am very pleased with the result.
wouldnt touch an esp thou (not even my ltd).

Kadri

I haven't made up my mind yet, still considering the benefits and possible risks of this mod.
Well I'm not gonna do the mod myself. If I finally decide to do it, I will ask a local luthier.
Andrei, did you notice any tonal difference and sustain after the mod?

andrei

i can't tell... i've also did a refret and played around a lot with the electronics at that point.
(don't even know if we can talk about tonal difference and sustain on that piece of wood... so i've just dropped an emg in it)

it's a good idea to have it done by a proffesional, but is it worth it?
and do you trust him to do exactly what you ask?
(wish i'd have had a luthier to do the refrets for me - snif)
guess you'll decide that.

good luck!

Kadri

I really need to put a lot of thoughts on this.
I'm curious what other forum members about this matter.
Thx andrei

andrei

no problem dude, wish i could have helped more.
there are members with serious experience here, hope they'll also bring some input.

but keep in mind: if it ain't broke...

Kadri

If it's thinner than ibz prestige, it must be pretty close to ibz super wizard neck. That neck was insanely thin, too much for me.
Boinz, any tonal difference on your guitar?

Kadri

Bump

Post to Thread