Has anyone ever purchased an ESP without a COA?

Updated
Michael V.

Hello all,

I have the option for a good price on a ESP Hetfield guitar and was curious as to your thoughts. The gentlemen selling the guitar has a letter/email from ESP confirming the serial number is authentic (He sent me a copy), but that they couldn't reproduce a Certificate since it is an older model. Am I dumb for even considering such an instrument?

Met04

If you know it’s legit and it has a good price, I would consider buying it, especially since Hetfield signature models are getting very expensive. What model is it?

ESP 348

Which Hetfield guitar man?

I have all the COAs for my guitars and I have been told the same from ESP in regards to them not being able to replace the COA for a guitar that is an older model.

Don't stress too much mate, as long as it's priced right then just buy it and enjoy. You know the guitar is the real deal and you will always be able to sell it down the road without the COA, as long as you have that letter from ESP to confirm the serial number you are all good.

Wish you all the best in regards to buying this guitar.

RaulTx

As the other forum mates have stated, there should not be any problem with that, as long as you have got other proofs about it’s authenticity. If it’s a good opportunity, go for it!

Michael V.

Its is one that is growing on me but is probably not the nicest of Herfield's bunch. It is the Primer Gray Truckster.

Pinian

Consider taking it one step further - trust but verify with ESP. If you have the serial #, give ESP customer service a phone call or drop them an email and confirm it for yourself as well if you're concerned. If you have high res photos, I'm sure folks here are very familiar with the model and can help too.

A COA is just a piece of paper that's easily forged, so I would not rely on that to validate the authenticity. If you were to go to Japan, and purchase anything that's JDM, you would never receive a COA. They don't issue them in Japan. I own 2 JDM guitars, an MX250 from 1998, and a K serial KH2 SE. Neither have a COA and play and sound better than ones that do. I was leery at first getting the KH2 SE without one. I now don't put any value on a COA (unless it's perhaps the KH2 Vintage COA hand signed by Kirk). Plus, if you get it at a better price I think you'll be even happier than paying extra for a piece of paper. 

Lukie Luke

Would you sell the KH2 SE man?

Breadfan32

I agree 100% with this 

Pinian
Lukie Luke wrote:

At this point I’m not looking to sell, it’s one of my favorites.

Lukie Luke
Pinian wrote:

At this point I’m not looking to sell, it’s one of my favorites.

Awesome man, 

If you were ever thinking of parting with it, let me know

Dominic D.

I've purchased an MX-250 that didn't come with any COA. 

I had an Incorrect COA for my snakebyte but was able to contact the local distributor here and they send me the correct one. I was very lucky to get that. I'm not looking for the guitar bthat belongs to the other coa. My truckster as its coa too 

Michael V.

I appreciate all of your help and advice! I actually bought the Truckster this morning! It is on it's way. I'll post pics once it arrives!!!!

ESP 348

Congrats Michael! Looking forward to seeing pics.

Michael V.

I appreciate it 348! I have to admit I am morbidly curious to see how I feel it compares to my LTD Iron Cross. I know they aren't exactly the same but similar enough I would think.  This Truckster is a 2005 with EMG 60/81 pre het-set.

RH

I have the LTD Iron Cross and LTD Black Truckster and they are both very different guitars. The Truckster feels like it’s built better and weighs a lot more. I feel your ESP Truckster will blow your LTD Iron Cross away. 

Papa Fiq

Congrats Michael! You’ll definitely going to love it! 

ESP 348

Cool man, let us know what you think of it Michael.

Flying Dutchmen

I have a Truckster as well without COA. Plays amazing, looks amazing and sounds amazing. If you doubt about the authenticity of an ESP post the pics on this forum and the experts here can verify it for you. 

Enjoy the Truckster and this will be the point of no return with respect that all other guitars you will play afterwards will not come close to the real deal  ....except for the Custom Shop ESP's 

Michael V.

Thats what I am afraid of haha. Suddenly going forward any Hetfield I get will have to be ESP. I hope this doesn't make me want to rebuy the Iron Cross in the ESP version! What sucks is it is going to arrive next Monday and I am traveling until Thursday that week!

ESP 348

It will definitely want to make you buy the IC in the ESP version man.

Michael V.

Ug oh. Well the only question I would have there is will the Iron Cross turn yellow like the snakebyte? I haven't found any theeads about the IC just the white Snakebyte. I do keep all my guitars in their cases.

Pinian

Yes it can yellow over time, but the case storage should help. 

Post to Thread