Thoughts on the FR Trem in an ESP Signature Series Alexi Scythe

Updated
Pencils2
I recently played one of these guitars and was incredibly pleased with the sound and build quality, but on the model I played the trem arm was not installed and the nut was not locked so I did not have the chance to take the FR for a spin. How would you describe the trem on this guitar? Does it hold it's tuning well through normal playing and trem (ab)use? Does the trem lose stability over time? I often find that Floyds are usually hit or miss... was the trem on your SS Alexi a good one? Thanks in advance!
Mark K.

It's just an OFR... So you're good to go. Believe me, all my guitars have floyds.. All original and one Schaller

Pencils2

Well that's good. I have been using the trem on my JPX 7 lately and it is driving me nuts.

What is a good string gauge for a FR? I know they come set up with 9's but I never much liked strings that thin. I imagine 9's break rather easily after a few dive-bombs.

rawrkunjrawr

What is a good string gauge for a FR? I know they come set up with 9's but I never much liked strings that thin. I imagine 9's break rather easily after a few dive-bombs.

they won't break on dive bombs, squeals yes probably the high E string. i'm gonna be putting 11-53 on mine in a couple days. drop C tuning and what-not.

brandono61cr

yeah , an OFR will not give you any problems . hell even the 1000 series on the ltd is kick ass .

i think 9 gauge strings blow ,that is what is recommended for a floyd , but i have put 11s on mine and it has no issues

SpicyPickles

yeah , an OFR will not give you any problems . hell even the 1000 series on the ltd is kick ass .

i think 9 gauge strings blow ,that is what is recommended for a floyd , but i have put 11s on mine and it has no issues

Where did you get this load of BS? Since when is anything recommended for guitar?

Strings are pure personal preference. My other guitar player in my band has 8's on his fiddle and i use 11's, on a floyd, in e standard.

brandono61cr

Where did you get this load of BS? Since when is anything recommended for guitar?

Strings are pure personal preference. My other guitar player in my band has 8's on his fiddle and i use 11's, on a floyd, in e standard.

i had seen it on FR's website and a couple of other places i cant remember ,oh well :lol
but it's recommended not commanded
and im guessing the idea is the lighter strings put less pressure on the bridge and make the knife edges last longer but im not sure what truth there is to that:\
but i have put 11s on mine and it has no issues

but i play in D and drop C a lot so ...
I think he means that FRs always come stock with 9's, like stoptail guitars come stock with 10's.

i didn't think about that but your right

blistered earth

i use 11-52 on my M103 and its got the special or the 1000 stays in tune very well i only have to tune it onece a week after the 2 day break in period
its in drop C

Pencils2

How far can you dive the pitch down on your floyds?

brandono61cr

How far can you dive the pitch down on your floyds?

depends on you !

how far do you feel comfortable ?

MV-CTM

the strings will be flapping

Pencils2

When will the strings be flapping?

Pencils2

I can usually drop the bar down to the strings. How low does that shift the pitch?

diadorastriker

I dont think it would be in any intelligible pitch.

Pencils2

Even better.

Pencils2

I think he means that FRs always come stock with 9's, like stoptail guitars come stock with 10's.

MV-CTM

they put light strings on them because most floyd users are shred flamers who do a thousand squealies and such. Anyway regarding flapping if I pull my floyds down the strings flap around so you have tons of range on them.

Creepingshredder

I can dive bomb till the trem arm is touching the body lol

slash1970

I use D'addario 9-46 on all my ESP's with Floyd Rose for standard E tuning, and have not broken a string in years. I used to on licensed ones though, fairly frequently and i always had tuning issues, despite set-ups etc. Mainly it was the high e snapping just past the saddle block. Rarely, if ever has this happened with my original floyds. As long as its set-up right they stay in tune like a rock.

load more replies (2 of 2)
Mark K.

Thats probably because of your trem arm... I had the same problem with my Schaller floyd.. bought a new arm and it was fixed

Post to Thread