KH-2 from the Custom Shop

Updated
Newsted
Hey, after some years I entered the ESP-territory again by buying a used KH-2 bolt-on. After I got it I noticed that the stamp on the back reads "Custom Shop" and not "Signature Series". Did they actually produce a run of them in the Custom Shop? What's the difference during the production? By the way, it was made in 2006 the COA says. Thanks in advance!
Newsted

Hey, after some years I entered the ESP-territory again by buying a used KH-2 bolt-on. After I got it I noticed that the stamp on the back reads "Custom Shop" and not "Signature Series". Did they actually produce a run of them in the Custom Shop? What's the difference during the production? By the way, it was made in 2006 the COA says. Thanks in advance!

anyone to fill me in?

Crazyfrase

You can buy both still today.

Custom and signature series versions of the KH2 both bolt on and neck through.

The difference is purely down to the craftsmanship and build of the guitar along with better quality materials. Thats the theory anyway.

How much better a custom KH2 is to a signature KH2 I have no idea. Never played a signature version.

But if there are any differences, they wont be a million miles away, but I would generally expect a slightly better finish on the custom.

Armitage

They're different? I thought it was a different year thing...

HateEvent

When I bought my neck thru KH-2 in 2003 - they were only available in the custom shop.

As of - I think? - 2005 they started doing both a signature series and custom shop version.

Having played both, the custom shop is better finished, with better attention to detail and such like. The usual aspects which would justify a greater price.

The level of said price hike is maybe not totally justified, however there IS a difference between the guitars and not just a marketing ploy like some seem to believe. :)

nabeel

Mine from '94 and says "Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock

load more replies (1 of 1)
BlowitUp

my 2005 says "Custom Shop" - I never knew there was one that just said Signature? I know it took them 6 weeks to make mine when I ordered it, price difference?

Dark Alone

The real rare ones are from the Custon Shop anyway.

Dilzdo21

90's one def says "custom guitars" which is a standard production model. The newer ones that say custom shop are made in the actual custom shop

Post to Thread