Viper 1000

Updated
R2R
I played a viper the other day in a local shop. I really liked it, and have been doing a ton of research on it(this site has helped me alot). What I want to know is, what should I be looking for to make sure im getting a quality LTD? Is there any common flaws that I should be looking for? Also, what do you think about the '59 in the bridge? Thanks in advance!
5150-Viper

i have owned a good number of vipers and the main thing you will notice is that they can be neck heavy.. this can be fixed by moving the strap button to the set-neck joint similar to a gibson sg, or to the tip of the horn.. Also the duncan model comes with a sh-2 in the neck and a custom 5 in the bridge, not the 59. Both the pickups sound good and our quite versatile.. The guitar is a great choice and if you stick with a 400 series and up you should be happy with her.

R2R

Thank you. How easy it to drill the new strap hole? Any links/videos on how to do it? Also, on ESP's site it says the Viper-1000 series comes with a custon 5 in the bridge, but a '59 in the neck. Maybe thats changed over the years? And what do you think about repalcing the custom 5 with an SH-6? I play in a pop punk band thats mainly high gain stuff. Heres a list of my gear.

Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960AV
LTD EC-1000
DL4 Delay Pedal
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus Pedal
Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal

Thanks again!

Dilzdo21

custom 5 is an amazing pickup

Heatmiser

To avoid the guitar being neck-heavy, can't you put a weight in the control cavity? Like a roll of pennies or something?

takesnogutz666

To avoid the guitar being neck-heavy, can't you put a weight in the control cavity? Like a roll of pennies or something?

no, i tried that with my viper 500 by taking a lead weight and wraping it in electrical tape. not only does it do jack shit, there was barely enough space for it and it kept pressing on my volume pots and eventually broke the solder off one of them... a roll of pennies is far too big to stick in the cavity unless you want to gut the guitar.

i eventually moved the strap nut to the horn of the guitar and my god did that make a difference. not only did it balance perfectly and feel a million pounds lighter, it brought the neck a little closer to my body and angled it upright sorta the same way as an eclipse. before i did this procedure i was kicking myself for buying a viper.

Post to Thread