Looking at buying a LTD GL-200-MT

Updated
baerman
Hello, I am looking into buying a LTD M1 Tiger and was wondering if anyone has played one. I have been a Lynch fan since I started playing over 20 years ago and have always liked the M1 Tiger paint scheme. The only ESP dealer in my area can order me one for $500, but I would like to try one out first. This may not be an option. Has anyone here played one? If so, is the neck thin wide or C shaped? Hows the Floyd Rose Special? Is it crap or good for the money? Is the paint job decent or is it awful? For $500 I don't expect an exact copy of his ESP M1. I've read negative reviews about the finish on the GL-256, so hoping that did a better job on this one. I've searched for reviews and have found none. Anything good or bad will help. Thanks in advance.
matt b.

Why not look on Ebay or something for a real ESP version, they usually are not too expensive. I know the ESP one has a C shaped neck if that helps (I would assume the LTD would have the same shape neck)

BenoA

Bumping that message!

1point8t

My Tiger is due to be in my hands tomorrow, so I will post all the info you want. The neck profile is supposed to be the 'original Lynch U' shape, which I think is the same profile as the Kami and Skull/Snakes guitars. The real ESP has a wide neck but the LTD has one thats 2-3mm narrower... that being said, we shall find out soon. Can't wait to try this one out.

BenoA

That's pretty cool 1point8t!!! :)

If you can post some pics of the guitar.

Give us a complete review and if you have other guitars to compare, please do a comparison. I'm pretty curious about the "Floyd Rose Special"? Does it stay in tune OK? Smooth or not?

BTW, where did you get it, most web sites online say that ETA is beginning of May.

Can't wait to hear news from ya!

1point8t

Ordered it from Drumcityguitarland back in January when I first heard about the guitar. It showed up Thursday and shipped early this week... I'm not really sure what to expect. It is only a 200 series guitar... but I had one of the GL256's last year and it was definitely a decent guitar for the $$ I paid. I'm hoping this ones no different. I've heard pretty good things about the Floyd Specials, they're made in China but still use half decent metals so it shouldn't crap out like the older licensed Floyds. Only one way to find out... stay tuned for a review later this weekend.

BenoA

stay tuned for a review later this weekend.

I'll be waiting for it! :D

1point8t

It's here. I haven't had a chance to post up a full review cause it hasnt seen much playing time yet. I can say this...for the money, it kills!! The paint work is decent, I can find plenty of small flaws, specks in the paint under the clear, etc but the more important stuff like the fretwork, hardware and such is great. Not a dead spot to be found on the neck and the stock humbucker even sounds pretty good. I'll be sure to snap some pics and give a full review soon, but I can definitely say its a great guitar for $500. BTW, it is made in China, not Indo, Vietnam, or any other far Eastern countries where LTD's are being built.

BenoA

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Post the pics when you get the time. :D

tungusgrump

i ordered mine in january and still haven't gotten it yet .....

BenoA

1point8t! Any more news on the new GL200MT? Pics?

1point8t

Sorry man, been real busy with work and such. I've got a couple of hours of playing time on her so far, I really dig the guitar. Its set up rivals many real ESP's I've owned... I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow if time permits. These 6 day work weeks are starting to really suck...

BenoA

No worries buddy! Take your time. I'm in no hurry.

baerman

Just ordered one. They say it will be in late May early June. Can't Wait!!!

diggy

I just got an offer from SamAsh to preorder one of these for $399. Do you think it would be worth it? I really like my GL-600MT, but someone offered me more than I paid for it so I sold it.

I have 2 guitars with these Floyd Specials on them and they are actually very good bridges. They hold tune with no problem and are very easy to adjust and fine tune. I love em. Of Course im a hobbyist and I dont really kill my guitars in a live setting but I do drop em some times and they recover with no problems.

My main concern is the neck and PUP. I assume the neck is as quality as any other maple overseas neck.

Let me also add, that I have owned a GL-256 as well. And Absolutly loved it. IT seems like this is very comparable to that. Same pickup (LH-500), is the neck the same profile as that gutiar.

1point8t

The neck is the best part of the guitar IMO. All the frets on mine were well dressed and level, no buzzing or dead spots anywhere. If you can score it for $399, by all means do it. This thing is a bargain and a good platform for some upgrades like a new PU or Floyd if need be.

BenoA

So, is the honeymoon still going with the GL200mt?

baerman

Hello everybody. Just wanted to update everybody in that I just received my LTD M1 Tiger after a 3 month wait. I ordered it back in early May and was told it would be here originally in 2 weeks. That didn't happen. The shop owner told me it was in customs for like a month. The disheartning thing is after about a month waiting Guitar Center started carrying them. The guitar was in the UPS box still and had just arrived about 2 hours earlier. I opened the box and was delighted to find that not only was the guitar still in tune, but there was no tool marks on any of the metal hardware and the bridge was perfectly adjusted. On the M1 that Guitar Center had this had not been the case. I brought the guitar home and preceeded to take the guitar apart to change the stock zinc sustain block out for an OFR brass block. Put it back together adjusted the springs, retuned, and then checked the intonation. It's interesting to note that the licienced bridge had a sustain block that was 37mm. I measured both a 32mm and 37mm OFR blocks and found them to be 35 and 40mm respectivly. Weird huh? The neck feels a lot like my early 90's M1. The finish is beautiful and the sustain block helped a lot. Being that it was a Floyd Rose Special I hoped that a OFR block would work and it did.

Post to Thread