The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Lee K.

Thanks so much for the thread!

Looking at this ESP Alexi Laiho custom shop, supposedly signed by Alexi himself (???) Seller wants about $2200 USD. I haven't seen a black with white pinstripe before so not sure whether to worry or get excited.

Edit: Also noticing lack of (boost?) switch on lower fin, not sure if that is normal

Signature aside, would love to know if this is legit! Cheers

Pushead

From the photos (which aren't great), the logos and details like the volute look good to me. The serial number and circle logo point to the guitar being built in the custom shop in 2007. I'm not super familiar with the Alexi models, so I'm not sure what's supposed to be there in terms of the electronics, but it may have been custom ordered.  I suspect the guitar is legit. If not, it's an expensive case for a fake guitar.

Lee K.

Ended up buying it. Feels amazing and sounds great, needs some setup tho! Aaaaand no surprise half the signature on the upper fin is rubbed off from playing  Pickup turns out to be an EMG-HZ which so far I like, although we'll have to see how it sounds with new strings. 

Appreciate the help!!!

Pushead

The HZ would be correct for an Alexi guitar.

Doug W.

Hi, I'm looking at buying a Ltd Explorer used locally, however I can't find an exact match for this model. It looks very much to me like an 2008 FX260, but they didn't make those with the coiled inlays so far as I can see. I queried with the seller whether the fret markers were decals, but he is adamant that they are actual inlays. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Pushead

Hi Doug. The EX looks to be legit. It's a 2008 model. The seller is either drinking his bathwater or the least perceptive person on the internet. Those are obviously decals, you can see the dots through the stickers and he put the 24th fret decals on the 22nd fret just because he thinks "they look cool."

Lucas R.

Hi Pushead, thanks for the amazing work for the community over all these years. I found a MII 2012 in a good condition, which doesn’t seem to be fake, but I would like to confirm before spend the money. I appreciate your help. 

Diogenes

OK. These things are addictive. Looking to get my 6th ESP/LTD in less than 12 months! I need a touring guitar because I don't want to take a shiny new M-II Custom or 1980s 48th St Custom Shop guitar on the road. This 2009 Horizon looks legit to me, if not fairly well used (i.e. good for touring). My only concern is there's nothing on the back of the headstock except the serial - is that right for 2009? Thanks once again for your invaluable assistance...

Pushead

Yes, the Horizon is legit. A 2009 model, this is a CS made guitar for the Japanese domestic market, so it wouldn't have other decals on the back of the headstock. I'm not sure if this would be an Original Series guitar or a true custom order.

Lucas R.

Hi Pushead, sorry for bothering you. Not sure if you had the chance to evaluate the M2 I posted right before this Horizon. I appreciate your help before closing the deal I’m into. Thanks once again. 

edit: typing error 

Diogenes

Thanks very much for the fast response. That's great information re: Japanese domestic market. Once I've satisfied myself that the seller is on the level I'll press the button. You've been a great help as always.

Pushead

Sorry Lucas, I missed your post. It's a legit 2012 M-II. Good luck!

Lucas R.

Thanks for your help, Pushead! Cheers!

Paul b.

Hi, 

i want to buy this guitar, just checking to be sure if it's teh real thing. Looks fine to me, but i'm no expert. It's a 2007 model. 

thanks,

Paul

Pushead

Hi Paul. You have it right, a legit 2007 Eclipse II.

Paul b.

thanks!

what's the going rate for these? This one is 1200 euro, seems a right price to me.

Pushead

Not sure of the European market, but 1200 EU sounds like a reasonable starting point.

Bryan A.

Hi! Hope you all are having a good day. I just need help on this ESP Strat that I saw in my local marketplace. Hope you can help me check off this is real or fake.

Pushead

Hi Bryan, I'm not feeling really great about this one. The headstock shape is similar (in a funhouse mirror kind of way) but not quite right, nor is the logo on the back of the head stock. I'd pass. Good luck on your decision.

Post to Thread