The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Jason K.

I got offered this in a trade and really have my doubts wanna have it checked out thanks 

Jason K.

Is this real?

Jason K.

Got offered in a trade but I’m seeing a lot of red flags 

Jason K.

Why does the 12th fret say mh-417 he claimed it was purchased from sweet water a few months ago but I can’t find another one like it on the whole internet 

Pushead

It's an LTD MH-417 with a refinished headstock. It likely had a break at some point.

Pushead

Actually, it may not even be an MH-417. The body shape is more like a Schecter. I can't find any evidence of it with that control layout or a red finish. In any case, I'd give it a pass.

lenni p.

is this esp e ii sv legit? that e ii logo looks weird to me like the other I on it looks like it could be sticker or something or is it supposed to look like that?

And that paint line is not good at the side picture of the neck.

that designed & built by esp logo back of the headstock is it supposed to be in that place i looked up these guitars and almost every sv had different logo than this one and it was like the round and more in the middle of the headstock  

If this is legit would 1400 euros be good price to pay

Pushead

It's legit. It's a 2013 model and that year was the transition between the ESP Standard Series and E-II brands. This logo only lasted through 2013 before evolving into what we see today.

lenni p.

Thank you

Zach B.

Couple things jump out to me. 

First, is that I recognize that it is a EC-1000 Piezo because of the lower switch and fishman power bridge.

Normally, they are labeled at the 12th fret EC-1000P. This one is not. Secondly, he swapped out the Seymour Duncans with EMG's. (he said the seymours are included with the sale)

He also installed an EMG AB so the third knob is slightly different.

Last, seems that the tuners have been previously bronze? Is this normal?

I will be traveling some distance to look at this guitar, so I would like to know what I am getting into before making the treck.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Hoge

Hello, I'm thinking to buy this guitar. These are the only images I have, please let me know what you think. Thank a lot

Pushead

Zack, the EC is legit. It's a 2017 model. As they moved toward 2018 they stopped putting the model number at the 12th fret. This may be the first step toward that; they may not have had any more EC-1000P inlays and just used a regular EC-1000. But all the rest of the details look good to me.

Also, those eye-bolt strap connectors really turn me off. Especially at the angle it's sticking out of the body.

Hoge, the V-II looks good to me. A 2009 model.

Zach B.

Thanks for your $0.02 

I agree with you on the eye bolts. I also requested more pictures and the previous owner before him, removed the Piezo input jack, so I am not sure of if that even works anymore.

My question is, how much would someone pay for a "Fankenstein" EC-1000.

Seems to me that it is in good shape, but I have some concerns.

Pushead

Zach, at the right price, i'd deal with reconnecting the piezo (or paying someone to do it.) But if the deal isn't great, I'd walk.

Post to Thread