The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

MX Fan

Hi,

I am about to buy this axe and I think is legit. It has certificate and everything. It advertised as MX220/250 but it says EX00T17 on certificate. What do you guys think?

A quick feedback would be appreciated. Thx!

Fordman65

What made you not buy this?

Pushead

It's legit. It seems to come from an era where ESP was changing serial number formats. The dual line serial number seems to point to it being an early order from 2001. It's somewhat different from an MX-II (what the 250 was eventually renamed as.) The inlaid logo is a nice addition, but they're just decals on the MX-II. Also the rosewood board was probably specially requested.

MX Fan

Great, when you say somewhat different. Do you mean shape wise? So would you say this is a better guitar than MX2 or 250….quality wise?

thnx

Pushead

The logo and rosewood are the "somewhat different" I was referring to. The head stock shape seems a bit larger, but that may just be the angle the photo is taken. Quality wise, I'd suspect they're the same. Both guitars are made in the custom shop, so they should be equivalent.

MX Fan

Thnx for your feedback and confirmation . Takes a lot of the burden from my shoulders

MX Fan

Had one more question. What would be a fair price for this guitar according to you?

Pushead

I'd figure it should sell for around the same price as the MX-II models.

MX Fan

Yeah ok. To further deepen my knowledge of the MX-II, I have seen from different sites that the "standard set up" is mahogny neck and ebony fretboard. In this case, this one has maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Which one is better… or are there pros and cons? Furthermore is 5-6 grand the market price for used MX-models today? 

Pushead

Yeah, $5-6k USD new or used excellent shape. The "normal" MX-II would be mahogany body and neck with an ebony fretboard.

People pick maple necks (over mahogany) because they feel they're stronger and often say they make for a brighter tone. But then people pick rosewood boards (over ebony) because they sound warmer. Or they just like the look of the brown over the look of black. It all comes down to personal preference, ultimately. Without playing one of each, it's hard to say how different they actually sound, or if that even matters enough to worry.

Here's my MX-II if that helps you see the differences.

MX Fan

Thank you. Greatly appreciated!

Jason K.

I got offered this in a trade and really have my doubts wanna have it checked out thanks 

Jason K.

Is this real?

Jason K.

Got offered in a trade but I’m seeing a lot of red flags 

Jason K.

Why does the 12th fret say mh-417 he claimed it was purchased from sweet water a few months ago but I can’t find another one like it on the whole internet 

Pushead

It's an LTD MH-417 with a refinished headstock. It likely had a break at some point.

Pushead

Actually, it may not even be an MH-417. The body shape is more like a Schecter. I can't find any evidence of it with that control layout or a red finish. In any case, I'd give it a pass.

lenni p.

is this esp e ii sv legit? that e ii logo looks weird to me like the other I on it looks like it could be sticker or something or is it supposed to look like that?

And that paint line is not good at the side picture of the neck.

that designed & built by esp logo back of the headstock is it supposed to be in that place i looked up these guitars and almost every sv had different logo than this one and it was like the round and more in the middle of the headstock  

If this is legit would 1400 euros be good price to pay

Pushead

It's legit. It's a 2013 model and that year was the transition between the ESP Standard Series and E-II brands. This logo only lasted through 2013 before evolving into what we see today.

lenni p.

Thank you

Zach B.

Couple things jump out to me. 

First, is that I recognize that it is a EC-1000 Piezo because of the lower switch and fishman power bridge.

Normally, they are labeled at the 12th fret EC-1000P. This one is not. Secondly, he swapped out the Seymour Duncans with EMG's. (he said the seymours are included with the sale)

He also installed an EMG AB so the third knob is slightly different.

Last, seems that the tuners have been previously bronze? Is this normal?

I will be traveling some distance to look at this guitar, so I would like to know what I am getting into before making the treck.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Zach B.

Post to Thread