ESP SPARKLE OUIJA (Tracking)

Updated
ESP SPARKLE OUIJA (Tracking)

Hello guys,

Here is a thread to track the red and purple ESP Sparkle Ouija serial numbers, their respective owners and the Country the guitar is located in.

There are not too many of these guitars out there, so it shouldn't be that hard lol.

The names in bold text are the current owners of these guitars that are forum members.

The names in regular text are the guitar owners or previous owners that I am unsure if they are forum members or not as that is all the information I have on them.

If anyone can send me extra info and/or pics that would be great also. Or any corrections that need to be made, just let me know here or via PM.

2020 ESP Red Sparkle Ouija-

01- Godfrey. (USA) (The Music Zoo) Stock photos of this guitar used everywhere

02- Fletch. (USA) (Washington Music)

03- John. (USA) (Drum City Guitar Land)

04- Will. (USA) (Gear Orphanage)

05- Cesar. Purchased from Diablo Guitars July 2023. Mike B. (The Axe Palace) (Being sold by Diablo Guitars USA  AU $21K 3-9-22)

06- (Gear Orphanage)

07- Snakebite. (USA) (Music Zoo)

08- Alamodome. (USA) (Musicians Friend)

09- Harry. (USA) (Sweetwater)

10- (UK) (Sweetwater)

11- (American Musical Supplies)

12- (Axe Palace)

13- Big Daddy. (USA) (Washington Music)

14- (Gear Orphanage)

15- Jin Ama. (GoDpsMusic)

16- Bennyvh (Belgium) (Omega Music)

17- Pap. (Australia) (Guitar Factory Parramatta)

18- (Cosmo Music)

19- Papa Fiq. (Malaysia) 

20- Raf. (Belgium) (Guitars Rebellion)

21- Manuel. (Germany) (Tom Lee Music)

22- Yue. (Japan) (Ikebe Shibuyu/Red Dragon Guitars)

23-

24- Yue. (Japan) (Ikebe Shibuyu/Red Dragon Guitars)

25- (Japan) (Kurosawa Music Ochanonmizu) (for sale AU $29K)

26- Yue. (Japan) (Ikebe Shibuyu/Red Dragon Guitars)

27-

28- (UK) (Live Louder) (for sale)

29- (Belgium) (Omega Music 26-7-21)

30-

2020 ESP Purple Sparkle Ouija-

01- Godfrey. (USA) (The Music Zoo) Stock photos of this guitar used everywhere

02- Fletch. (USA) (Washington Music)

03- David.  (USA) (Drum City Guitar Land)

04- Mike B. (The Axe Palace) (Purchased from Diablo Guitars USA)

05- Cesar. Purchased from Diablo Guitars March 2024. Will. (USA) (Gear Orphanage)

06- (Gear Orphanage)

07- (American Musical Supplies)

08- Alamodome. (USA) (Sweetwater)

09- Harry. (USA) (Muscians Friend)

10-

11- Blackjack. (USA) (Washington Music)

12- (UK) (Sweetwater)

13- Big Daddy. (USA) (Gear Orphanage)

14-

15- (GoDpsMusic) (Drum City Guitar Land 2-4-21)

16- Bennyvh (Belgium) (Omega Music)

17- Pap. (Australia) (Guitar Factory Parramatta)

18-

19- Papa Fiq. (Malaysia) 

20- Luke (Ireland) (Musamaailma) (Originally owned by Apaman Finland)

21-

22- For sale AU $23K 24-11-21 (Indonesia) (Highendguitars) 

23-

24- Kirz. (Japan) (ESP Craft House)

25-

26- Yue. (Japan) (Ikebe Shibuyu/Red Dragon Guitars)

27- Manuel. (Germany) (Ikebe Shibuyu/Red Dragon Guitars)

28- (Belgium) (Omega Music for sale 26-7-21)

29- (UK) (Live Louder) *sold to Netherlands*

30- Julian. (Hong Kong) (ESP Craft House) *sold by Yue*

Peter J.

So, Will has the Purple 05 and the Red 04 up for sale. I've been looking for one of these for awhile and am curious about something.  He shows a picture of the purple one, which has a slight finish defect.  He says it came from the factory like that.  Why would ESP allow a $12,000 guitar leave the factory with that defect?  Am I missing something?  

https://reverb.com/item/50760289-esp-custom-shop-kirk-hammett-ouija-signature-purple-sparkle

ESP 348

Hello Peter, 

Purple Ouija #5 definitely had a defect from the factory. The guys at the ESP Custom Shop must have missed that one, which is a very rare mistake on their behalf. 

A friend was going to purchase purple Ouija #5 from new, but pulled out of the deal because of the defect. I think they did try and come up with some sort of resolution, but in the end it was easier to walk away from it and purchase another purple Ouija. 

My personal opinion and suggestion was that purple Ouija #5 should have been sent back to the ESP Custom Shop to be repainted again.

It should have been done for such a rare and expensive guitar and the cost of shipping and to repaint it would have been minimal in the end.

I have seen the defect and it's minor, but I personally would not have purchased it either as I like my guitars to be in mint condition. 

I hope this helps and if you're interested in purchasing it and are happy to live with that defect, then go for it mate.

They are incredible guitars and everyone who owns them absolutely loves them. 

Mike B.

I now have #04 Purple Sparkle Ouija. I purchased the guitar from Diablo Guitars. Guitar is in mint condition with all the factory paper work.

#04 Purple Sparkle & #05 Red Sparkle
ESP 348

Awesome!! Huge congrats to you Mike!  

Great pics, thanks for sharing 

I will update the forum shortly. 

What’s your thoughts on these guitars?

I played my red Ouija the other day, an amazing guitar to say the least.  

Mike B.

Thank you, I'm really glad to have both now.

I have been playing the purple one quite a bit the last few days and really love the quality and design of them. The graphic on these with the sparkle is really awesome.

I noticed you had my #04 purple marked as #05 from Will. I think Will still has his.

ESP 348
Mike B. wrote:

I have been playing the purple one quite a bit the last few days and really love the quality and design of them. The graphic on these with the sparkle is really awesome.

I noticed you had my #04 purple marked as #05 from Will. I think Will still has his.

Hello Mike,

That is great man, they are awesome and quality is second to none. 

And I just fixed that up mate. 

Did I just mess that up?

I fixed it now, I think? lol

Take a look and please correct me if I got it wrong. 

Mike B.
ESP 348 wrote:

Hello Mike,

Did I just mess that up?

It looks good now. I'm not sure if Will ever owned #04 purple, maybe sold it when it was new? I know he still has #05 purple and that is the one that has the finish blemish on the lower horn tip from the factory. I have #05 red sparkle and #04 purple sparkle and he has #04 red sparkle and #05 purple sparkle. Kinda crazy.

ESP 348
Mike B. wrote:

Hello Mike,

Did I just mess that up?

It looks good now. I'm not sure if Will ever owned #04 purple, maybe sold it when it was new? I know he still has #05 purple and that is the one that has the finish blemish on the lower horn tip from the factory. I have #05 red sparkle and #04 purple sparkle and he has #04 red sparkle and #05 purple sparkle. Kinda crazy.

Hi mate,

Cheers for the info, I think I have it sorted now. 

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the weekend mate. 

Mike B.
ESP 348 wrote:

Hello Mike,

Did I just mess that up?

Hi mate,

Looks good, thank you. Have a great weekend as well bro!

ESP 348
Mike B. wrote:

Hello Mike,

Did I just mess that up?

Hi mate,

Looks good, thank you. Have a great weekend as well bro!

Cheers brother.

mike o.

This website about guitars is great, I saw a lot of knowledge and ideas about guitars, I feel very good, it should be useful to many people.https://aitoolmall.com/

bennyvh

The frustration continues, really wonder if there is a QC at checkout by ESP!
So my purple one got sent back to the distributor in Germany, then towards ESP Japan to fix the issue i had with the pickup (as you can read on earlier post)
It has been away for 7 months, got it back yesterday and somehow the distortion doesn't loose output volume, but now when i go to cleans it drops massive in volume..
I'm so lost for words and frustrated, this was a big investment for me personally and then all this happens..
Do you guys think it's still a pickup issue? Must be right?

I made comparising youtube vid.

Red one (perfect)
purple one (issue)

Mike B.
bennyvh wrote:

The frustration continues, really wonder if there is a QC at checkout by ESP!
So my purple one got sent back to the distributor in Germany, then towards ESP Japan to fix the issue i had with the pickup (as you can read on earlier post)
It has been away for 7 months, got it back yesterday and somehow the distortion doesn't loose output volume, but now when i go to cleans it drops massive in volume..
I'm so lost for words and frustrated, this was a big investment for me personally and then all this happens..
Do you guys think it's still a pickup issue? Must be right?

I made comparising youtube vid.

Red one (perfect)
purple one (issue)

You would think that the volume and output should not drop between the clean and overdrive settings. I think the first thing I would do is check the bridge pickup height compared to your red one. Lower height setting would definitely drop on clean volume if the pickup was further away from the strings. I think if it had a bad coil both clean and dirty would have a low output, giving it that single coil sound. It may seem like there is a possible voltage drop issue somewhere in the signal path and it is not as noticeable with the gain setting on. I have not removed the cavity covers on mine yet, are these the new solderless pug in style? If so, it should be pretty straight forward to trouble shoot if you could try replacing the volume pot or the junction block to see if the issue lies there. I live about an hour from EMG and if there was a problem with the pickup itself, I wonder if they would be willing to remove the epoxied guts out and replace them? I know for a fact that you can get the epoxied internals out. I monkeyed with one years back and was able to remove the internals. I'd be happy to help out on my end to get it squared away. Sometimes it's just better when you can deal with them in person.

bennyvh

Hi Mike,
the weird thing that happens aswell, is when i strum and then plug-in the guitar, it takes 2secs or so and then the sound fades in (both pickups). afterwards no problem (red one doesn't have this). That single coil was the case when it was shipped towards Japan. Now it's just the clean sound that's screwed up, i've put pickup height same as red one, but i'll try fiddle with it more, it is the plug-in style pickups. i did switch the vol. pots. etc. to test but no difference. Changed batt. aswell with red one. God how i wished they were just covers so i could just swap. Really appreciate your feedback! I live in Belgium so won't make it to you or EMG

Mike B.

The sound fading in definitely sounds like a ground or power issue. Maybe check the input jack to make sure everything is plugged in properly and none of the terminals are making contact with the body of the guitar.  If EMG says they will repair the pickup, you could always send it to me and I'll walk it in the front door.

ESP 348

What an interesting and annoying issue you have there Benny. 

Have you had a chat to any local repair shops in your area to see if they have come across this issue before? 

bennyvh

Ok so after Mike's suggestions i checked grounding etc. of the input jack etc. all good.
Then i was switching around stuff, when i switched the neck/bridge connections on the part that is connected with velcro (see pict.) the issue switched to the neck pickup, so it's not a pickup issue but electrical issue, so i guess i'll just need to replace that part?

I can't find that part however, if i check kirks bb set or hetfields set they come with that part but to solder etc.and it doesn't look like this one..
Also can't find the part on the site, number on it is EMG B197rD

Or wait.. i guess it's still the same pickup right that is the issue, since it is in neck position that i have it now but ofc. i switched them around so neck is actually bridge... there go's my hope it wasn't the pickup

ESP 348

Sounds like you are on the right track Benny.

This would be the first time I've heard an issue with any EMG part/product myself.

Mike B.

Cool, this is actually good news. That is the pickup bus board. That maybe an older one that has since been replaced by the current one. Not to worry, everything will still plug in correctly and your low voltage issue should be gone. You can get a new part directly from EMG or may be able to find one on Amazon or locally. Here is the link to EMG for one.

https://www.emgpickups.com/parts/b245-buss.html

ESP 348

That link doesn't work Mike, but do you think this would be a warranty replacement part from EMG? 

Mike B.

Its hard to say if EMG would warranty it. They may want the guitar sent in or looked at by a authorized service center. I would shoot them an email directly and let them know whats going on. My guess is the link is not working due to being out of country. I bet they have a different website for the EU. The part is called B245 Pickup Buss and cost on it is $5.00 US. It's pretty cheap, so I would probably get one and swap it out myself. If they are hard to get in Germany, I can send you one. I'm happy to help out.

bennyvh

Ye if you press the 'read more' on the bottom of my last post i just thought wrongly, to be sure i swapped it with the red one and it stays the same.. so it's 99% sure the pickup i'm afraid.. no idea why my guitar has been away to Japan for 7months..
really dissapointed in ESP, also when i got it back the pickup ring was even mounted wrong.. (see picture) can't say if it happened at the distributor or at ESP Japan.
Also there was case damage, again can't say who's responsible for that since it went from store to distr. to esp Japan but again... really sad again about this..
I guess there is no way i can reach ESP directly and not thru a store, then the store to distributor to then go to ESP Japan? Since i kind of lost trust atm.
Paying so much for.. Like i said it was a big investment for me..
And if it was not a painted pickup i wouldn't even care, order a new one and done, i'd take that hit, but since it's painted it's a whole other story.

Also sorry to highjack this threat with my issue, if i need to make a seperate topic let me now @moderator @ESP348

Mike B.

Ah, didn't see the read more. So just so I understand it correctly, when you switched the pickup leads on the bus board, the bridge pickup when selected was still weak on the clean setting and the neck pickup (on the bridge position switch) was still functioning properly? This is really a bummer that ESP is not stepping up more to rectify the situation. I would almost try to get in touch with the ESP custom shop in California to see if they could help with a solution. I know they do painting there and might be able to do a replacement pickup. A call to EMG as well might be good to see if they can work with that pickup to rebuild it.

Lukie Luke

Hey Guys  

Any idea what these are worth in the current market? 

I have a purple sparkle & would love to add a red to the collection if anyone knows of one for sale! 

Thanks

bennyvh

I have no idea, they rarely being sold atm, and last ones on reverb were around 13.500 euro's a uk shop who had both, but idk what they ended up selling for..
oh update on my purple one, esp shipped me a new painted pickup, never gotten back to it here :s

ESP 348

Hey mate,

I think the current market is strong and I have only seen that one red one for sale with that insane asking price lol.

If I ever see another one for sale, I will be sure to let you know mate.  

ESP 348

And that is great to hear Benny! Did you receive it and fit it yet?  

bennyvh

Yes fitted and everything is perfect again, the European distributor didn't help at all..
I then did what they told me to do here and reached out to EMG, there i got in contact with Alison Turner (Vice President Of North American Sales at EMG) she helped me further instantly willing to replace the pickup etc. but we had to deal with the custom paint job ofc., they sent me an KH-BB pickup to tryout and see if it really was the pickup (it was).
And then she reached out to Tim (supervisor of ESP US) and he was also a dream to work with! He then reached out to the custom shop in Japan to paint that pickup.
So after alot of stress etc. (FedEx lost the guitar at some point aswell, wonderful phone call to get) everything turned out good..

I might sell them at one point, since i don't want to go thru all this stuff again (painted pickups) but we'll see since normally emg's don't die but yeah was unlucky i guess
and it passed the QC since the issue happened randomly (something internal i guess)

ESP 348

Wow man, what a huge effort to get this resolved but I am glad it all worked out in the end. 

Losing the guitar in transport also would have given me a heart attack also! lol

Thanks for sharing man, very happy for you. 

Cesar A.

ESP 348 Hey man, just wanted to update you. I am now the lucky owner of both the purple and red sparkle #5. I’ve owned red since July (purchased from Diablo Guitars) and I just purchased purple sparkle #5 today from them, too. It’s expected to arrive tomorrow. 

ESP 348

Hello Cesar and congratulations man!  

It's great to see another matched pair of Sparkle Ouijas. 

I will update the register now, please post pics of them when you have them both together. )

Post to Thread