Are ESP guitars just for metal?

Updated
Are ESP guitars just for metal?

I've been an ESP fan for a long time. But for some time now, I've been wondering, if they knew what type of music I make, would ESP want me as a player or a fan? I don't shred, never djent, if fact, I barely play metal at all!

A long time ago now, I use to have an EX-50 and remember lurking the old forums here. While I could understand the time then of the obsession of the EXP models and the lack of interest in the Japanese groups that were endorsed, the thing that stood out for me at the time was how intense the disliking of Dan Jacobs and Atreyu got. Because they didn't fit into the thrash or extreme metal mould that people here at the time liked, it felt like they just wanted to destroy them and as I liked metal but was into other things as well, I remember it felt very unwelcoming. When I later swapped to an Ibanez RG due to preferring the scale length, I stopped visiting and never looked back. 

A lot of things have changed since then. Over time I ended up developing a style that was like a mix of goth or post-punk mixed with some new wave, indie pop and a bit more of what Japanese groups like Luna Sea, Plastic Tree and L’Arc~en~Ciel. And at this time after playing a lot Fender guitars, which neck wise is is the polar opposite of Ibanez, I became interested in returning to ESP for a thin neck that isn't too flat. Especially EMG models, I love how superstrat guitars can get a very clean glossy sound that lets modulation pedals stand out well, but turn the gain up and full chords remain clear in a way you don't get with vintage style guitars. After checking options and falling in love with some of the Bang Dream guitars on the JP site, I got myself an ESP Horizon and am very happy with it. Then the Linkin Park "If you're expecting ESP guitars...." thing happened. It was that unwelcome feeling all over again, but instead of from forum members, it was from ESP, or at least ESP USA itself! If we aren't making "the iconic representation of the powerful sound of heavy music", are we representing you wrong? Maybe as well, are we not welcome?

When I think of the ESP sound, I do think of the crunch of Metallica, but I also think of the beauty of Big Country records, the joy of The Alfee live shows and even the direct and cool sound of Madonna, who's bassist was listed in an old catalogue as an endorsee. Much like Ibanez and Yamaha in Japan and Fender in America, ESP is a company that makes wonderful guitars that covers many different styles so why only focus on one sound? In a way I find it sad that Mike Shinoda could say what he did and pigeonhole the company in such a way, but if you want to position yourself that way, maybe I'm the odd one out here. 

I'm sorry this ended up long, but I guess culture wise, ESP will always confuse me. The custom guitar company that is ESP Japan and the metal guitar company that is ESP USA, sometimes they don't feel like the same company at all even if the logo is the same. 

Johny2Wong

I understand what you mean.

When I hold my E-II guitar, unconsciously my mind asks me to play only metal songs. I feel uncomfortable using it for playing any other music genres. I guess my mind is brainwashed because I always see metal musician holding or playing ESP guitar. My guitar also comes with EMG. I love that pickups for hi gain sound. It's so easy to get my favorite hi gain sound with that pickup. So, I tend to play only metal with this guitar.

So, how do I deal with that mindset ?

I always remind myself guitar is just a tool. I'm the one who dictates its sounds. It will produce any sound for any song that I play.

From time to time, I also play pop song using clean sound. Just to remind myself that an ESP with EMG is also a good guitar for non-metal song.

And lastly, I plan to buy another E-II guitar. It comes with EMG. I will swap those pickups to medium output one. Not only to get rid of the mindset "ESP + EMG = Metal",  but also to get different sound from it.

noah l.

you don't DJENT??????????????

ESP Customer Service

Hello,

While many people associate ESP with heavy music, our artists cover a lot of musical ground.  If you get a chance to look at our Artist page, you'll find a diverse set of players like Ron Wood, Monte Pittman (Maddona), Charlie Bereal (Drake), and the gentlemen from War, just to name a few.  A lot of guitar-based music out there happens to be heavy metal, and we are proud that our name is associated with that, but all players are welcome in the ESP family!

mulysa

nope. but 80% of the workers in ESP is metalhead. hahaah

Post to Thread