Bad tube?

Updated
Brono
I was just playing through my Laney when the sound just dropped out and left a a kinda soft static sound. When i crank up the volume you can hear the guitar come through (under the static) clean, even on the distortion channel. Its not the guitar cable either. I haven't really used the amp a whole lot, and at low volumes if i do. I don't know why the tubes would be bad already. Is there a way i can test to find he culprit?
Yetti1

Most likely its a bad pre tube thats the culprit...if you have already eliminated the cable, and any other lines. Its most likely a tube.
If it is, you will experience symptoms such as that, volume drops little to no distortion, crackeling, squeeling ect. Tubes generally should be changed annually.

Brono

how do you find which tube is bad? or replace them all?

Brono

i tried all that and im thinking maybe its not a bad tube now. All the tubes are glowing about the same, ive tapped on all of them and nothing happened. Im starting to worry now.

Brono

I just tried swapping all the tubes around and now theres no crackling (barley any anyway) but the distortion channel is completely clean, no gain at all. I can adjust the volume, so it isnt a power tube. I guess its probably the pre-amp tubes?
If it were something wrong with the amp swapping the tubes shouldn't really have an effect right?

cbbass123

could have been your phase inverter tube...but now you moved it around

KH Guitar Freak

I suggest you just buy some preamp valves, and then swap them out one by one till you find the culprit(s)...

Brono

got a full set of jj's its all good now. Sounds fucking killer!

Post to Thread