Making the switch back to 9's

Updated
martijua
I've been playing EXL110's for 5 or 6 years now on standard E and Eb. I left the 9's on that came on my M-II and am digging the way they feel. Its like more of my fingers expression comes thru on the 9's than on the 10's. I also notice that more of my picking hand technique seems to come thru on the 9's. Plus the 9's feel so light that it makes it the neck feel faster and easier to move around on. I'm still keeping a guitar with 10's for standard C# tunings...but I'm digging the 9's !!!
Sixstringhotshot

I mean no harm by this, but I want you to know:

You're fucking weird, man. You look like you'd break your own arms if you flexed, and you're playing 9's?!

martijua

I mean no harm by this, but I want you to know:

You're fucking weird, man. You look like you'd break your own arms if you flexed, and you're playing 9's?!

I havent really been working out for the past 2 to 2 1/2 years.....
plus I have sensitive hands :lol

Sixstringhotshot

I'm sure you're still relatively gigantic. The closest I ever came to working out was 6-nights/wk practice on the swim team in 9th grade....6 or 7 years ago. Obviously I wasn't building much muscle at 14, but after losing 2" over the past year with nothing but moderate diet change I've noticed most of that muscle is still there (visually, at least).

martijua

I'm sure you're still relatively gigantic. The closest I ever came to working out was 6-nights/wk practice on the swim team in 9th grade....6 or 7 years ago. Obviously I wasn't building much muscle at 14, but after losing 2" over the past year with nothing but moderate diet change I've noticed most of that muscle is still there (visually, at least).

I've lost like 12 to 15 lbs over the past 2+ years from not working out.
Most of that was all muscle. No big deal. If I ever want it back I'll just start lifting heavy again.
I'm going to start lifting again soon but I'm not going for size or strength this time.
I'm going for tone and definition so I'll be lifting lighter weight with higher rep count.
I need to get my diet back in check.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Bridge The Void

I've always found more "feel" on slacker strings, which is why my Jem will always have .9s on it. My current setup of 10-52 on 25" scale PRS's in Eb has the best of both though.

ESPimperium

Im gonna have to put a set of 9-46s on my Strat when i decide on the new pickgaurd and pickups, i love the way you can ben the shit outa 9s, but when you go to the lower strings (E,A,D) you feel the slackness, i think that 9-46s are the best hybrid.

martijua

Im gonna have to put a set of 9-46s on my Strat when i decide on the new pickgaurd and pickups, i love the way you can ben the shit outa 9s, but when you go to the lower strings (E,A,D) you feel the slackness, i think that 9-46s are the best hybrid.

I'm going to try the hybrid set soon. I think that would work great for Eb.

ZephMan

I love tens, they sound so rich clear to me

the_emptier

yeah i play nothing but nines

KH Guitar Freak

I couldn't go back to 9s again, the tone is some much better with 10s to me...

ESPimperium

Id think the 9-46s would work well for E and Eb.

Altho i have done a set of 10-48s recently, all they are are a standard 10-46 set with a heavier 48 in the place of the 46, but thats on my EC-1K that has my BKP Painkiller in it, altho id guess similar results would be achivable with 9-46s on a Strat or Superstat with a F scale neck.

H3LL5P4WN

I guess I'm the odd man out on this thread, with 11-48's on 24.75 guitars, tuned Eb.

Sixstringhotshot

11-48 always felt unbalanced to me. 11-56 is pretty straight, but I like 11-58 for a little more thunk on the bottom end.

themisfit138

I like the tone of the 9-42 over the 10-46 on most of my guitars.

load more replies (1 of 1)
TheDevilHimself

The lighter gauge makes bends/pulls and slight vibratos easier, hence the better "feel". Heavier gauge causes the bass and treble to ring out clearer, so the sound is more defined. These are very small differences though.
I used the hybrid set 9/46 on my Ibanez RG (in standard) and felt it was the best combo kind of, as bends on a 25.5" scale tend to be a bit stiff with 10s.

martijua

Well I put 10's on the guitar. I loved the way the 9's feel to my hand in E standard....
but they sound weak and thin when plugged into my amp.
I put 10's back on and it sounds much better! And they feel great!

Post to Thread