peavey 6505

Updated
takesnogutz666
im looking to buy a peavey 5150, but would prefere to buy a new amp. is the 6505 much different?
DeathIsMyJustice

Its the same :hat

savageshredder

same sounding sure ,but the 5150 looks cooler

gorsch

buy the 5150II or 6505+. I think it's $100 more or something. Well worth it though. The crunch channel is footswitchable making it a 3 channel amp. A lot of 5150 users run the crunch as there main gain with either the lead as a lead boost (5150II anyway) or the lead as clean (5150 users). The crunch has a "fuller" gain and sounds great if you run a TS9 or boss SD1 with the gain at 0 and level at 10 (on pedal of course) just to push the pre-amp harder. I use the lead channel as my gain with a maximizer in the effects loop. HEAVEN!!! Plus, the 6505+ has a "clearer" gain. You can crank it higher without getting gritty because of the extra gain stage. Sorry, TMI. I'm a gear geek.

nwright

You can crank it higher without getting gritty because of the extra gain stage. Sorry, TMI. I'm a gear geek.

A gear geek without a clue.

There is no "extra" gain stage in the 5150II/6505+, it's actually lower gain than the 5150/6505.

The extra preamp tube is due to the fact that the Rhythm and Lead channels do not share all the tubes like they do in the regular 5150/6505.

Just because you read it in a Musicians Friend catalog doesn't make it true, kids.

noobs.|I

Dilzdo21

dude buy the plus, it s dual equalizer and ull never hafta spend a dime on an amp again

gorsch

exactly. The only other amp I'm thinking about buying is an Engl Powerball. I just dont have a good enough reason though. My tone to me, is perfect. 5150II-G major-maximizer (knobs at 6 so not to over kill). It's all in the pre-amp and power tubes with those amps.

JEDMO

I agree...buy my 6505+ in the spam section. :p

xcc

The 5150 delievers an awesome high gain tone IMO. I love it. but it's hard to get a decent clean sound, if it's possible at all ?

load more replies (2 of 2)
gorsch

ok, extra pre-amp tube......sorry, my bad. Didnt think he would really care about that much detail. You can put a higher gain tube in the pre-amp position (V1) for the crunch channel to get clearer gain outta the Lead. Kinda like an extra gain stage, but technically not.

MikeAmottV2006

The absolute best sounding tube combo I had in my 5150II was a tungsol in the lead channel's V1, an EH12AT7 in V4 and Groove Tubes 12AX7R's in the rest of the slots , along with EH EL34 power tubes (had the amp modded of course). That thing had pure God tone on tap.

gorsch

really? I really like the V2 but havent played a T2. The V2 deffinately didnt sound like any other amp I've played. I'm just waiting a bit to hear about any reliablity issues with the V2 or T2. They're still pretty new and I'm waiting to hear if they have any major issues. The VMax was horrible. The Hughes and Kettner Switchblade was a cool idea and sounds good, they just all break so that was a big negative. Plus, they dont sound anywhere near as good as the V2 did. I almost bought the V2 the other day but like I said previously, I dont really need another amp.

nwright

The V2 does sound good, but I've not heard good reviews as to the reliability of this amp.

My 6505+ has been rock solid...And, my XXX seems like it will be, too.

xcc

The V2 and T2 sounds similiar on the high gain channels. But the T2 blows away the V2 when it comes to cleans. I guess it's because the V2 is a SS clean and the T2 is "tube".

I've heard negative stuff about the quality on the V2. I owned a T2 for a year, bought if a guy who have owned it for a year, I sold it to a guy for 3-6months ago (have the amp even existed that long? have the old owner fooled me?:|). Never head a problem with it. But that's just one amp, maybe we were lucky ;) It sounds great tho!

load more replies (1 of 1)
gorsch

cool. Glad I didnt buy one. Probably wont now. Still sound sweet, too bad. My 5150II was one of the last shipped before they changed to 6505+, thanks to the guys on peavey's forum for tracking the serial #. Havent had any problems at all. I had a 5150 (EVH block letter) before. That had some issues I could never get fixed. But I bought it used off Ebay and who knows what that went through. They usually are REALLY reliable amps. Most of the guys I know that use Mesa have their old 5150's as back up. I really like Engl though. The Blackmore and the Powerball. Splawn are sweet too. The 5150's clean isnt bad with a sonic maximizer in the loop and the right combo of pickups and EQ. Mine's clean enough.

gorsch

LordCliffton, you the same dude from the peavey forum? If so, believe what this dude says. He knows his shit. My clean is actually pretty clean too. I really want to try putting an EQ in the effects loop again. The last one I tried was good but could've been better. I found that the Sonic stomp with the knobs either at 5 or 6 (12 o'clock or 1 o'clock) really brightens up the amp without really screwing with the amps eq too much. Too many people over use a maximizer, and end up just getting a "scooped" tone.

LordCliffton

LordCliffton, you the same dude from the peavey forum? yes.:D

Too many people over use a maximizer, and end up just getting a "scooped" tone

hence the reason '...And Justice For All' sounds so boomy, I believe they used it everywhere on the album.

takesnogutz666

^hahah i used to do that, i stopped doing it once i tried recording and heard how awful it really was.

espdood

So it looks like everyone recommends the 6505 plus/5150 II. I wonder why Peavey still makes the regular 6505, when there's not much of a difference between them?

capoeiraesp

I think for a fair comparison you should be comparing how the 6505 & 6505+ come stock from the factory. So much can be modded on these two amps i.e mk2 being modded to sound like a mk1.

From FJA mods
The 5150II has the following differences:

Rhythm channel crunch is foot switchable

Adjustable bias (cold range)

Separate EQ for each channel

Separate presence and resonance for each channel

Brighter overall tone

Better clean tone

A little less gain on the lead channel (6 gain stages)

A lot less gain on the rhythm channel (3 gain stages)

load more replies (1 of 1)
gorsch

I've owned both and thought my 5150II had "better" gain in my opinion. But I also had issues with my 5150 EVH the whole time I owned it. Bought it off Ebay. I'd still say the mk2 is more usfull simply for the crunch factor. My volume doesnt jump when I kick in the crunch.

espdood

I've owned both and thought my 5150II had "better" gain in my opinion. But I also had issues with my 5150 EVH the whole time I owned it. Bought it off Ebay. I'd still say the mk2 is more usfull simply for the crunch factor. My volume doesnt jump when I kick in the crunch.

So its not fair to compare the 5150 II to your regular 5150, because something was wrong with the reg. 5150 anyhow. I've been hearing quite the opposite as the 5150/6505 being the higher gain amp than the plus or the II.

gorsch

I just figured a "noob" (sorry I hate that term) wouldnt really get it. I mean the guy originally made the post. Bad wording on my part. All I've owned for tube amps (kinda sad but not really) is the 5150 series. First a 5150 EVH then a 5150II. I 've had many chances to play other amps and see how I like em. Engl still takes the cake with Splawn in close second. Been talkin with the Peavey guys on their forum for about 10 years now so I've picked up a bit of info on theses amps too. The best thing for theses amps is good pre amp and power tubes. Most of the complaints about theses amps can be resolved by trying different pre amp tube combinations. For power tubes I still havent found anything better than sovtek WXT+'s. Havent gotten the chance to hear one modded for EL34's though. Sorry, I'm new to posting here but have been "lurking" for a while now. just a simple introduction of myself. I'm glad there are others here who know their shit too. I'm always trying to learn more.

Post to Thread