Portable practice amps

Updated
Portable practice amps
These been up before... anyways. I´m looking for a portable practicve amp 5-30 watts. I would like to have an all tube amp but the most important thing is that it can make a good thrash metal sound. I played the Spider III 15 watt and Fender Vibro something today. The Spider sounded ok but not really all that, I think I can find something better and I only need ONE good sound, not 100. It don´t need to be all tube but that´s what I´m used to... what should I look into??? Oh, I play modded Marshall 2203 with Kt88´s.
Bridge The Void

Small practise combos are, in the majority of cases, either modeling amps or just sound shite. Good thrash metal sounds come from large amp stacks, so don't be surprised if you can't find a similar sound out of a practise combo. Modeling is probably the closest you'll get to the sound you want, and who knows...one day you might want a different sound to play with...:p

Turbo Rico

Small practise combos are, in the majority of cases, either modeling amps or just sound shite. Good thrash metal sounds come from large amp stacks, so don't be surprised if you can't find a similar sound out of a practise combo. Modeling is probably the closest you'll get to the sound you want, and who knows...one day you might want a different sound to play with...:p

I did try the Line 6 Spider and it sounded ok but from what I´ve heard from Guitar World this sounds better and more fun playing on. We´ll see... if I don´t like it I just sell it and get the Spider III 15 watt instead.

Dæmonium

I have a 15 watt Laney which I am perfectly happy with. It serves it's purpose just fine.

njrusmc

I just bought a Line 6 Spider III 15W, I think its superb. I don't care much for effects myself, I am a purist in a sense. I get some great metal crunch from it and my EMG 81 in the bridge ... its pretty brutal. Highly recommended, see my post in "Line 6 amps..." for more info.

Turbo Rico

I just bought a Line 6 Spider III 15W, I think its superb. I don't care much for effects myself, I am a purist in a sense. I get some great metal crunch from it and my EMG 81 in the bridge ... its pretty brutal. Highly recommended, see my post in "Line 6 amps..." for more info.

Spider III is that same as Pod XT or Pod 2.0??
Glad You´d like it.

load more replies (1 of 1)
njrusmc

The Spider III is a hybrid, mini-tube pre-amp I think. Please do not hesitate to correct me if I am mistaken, I am not certain.

Greatdeceiver

Roland MICROCUBE!

njrusmc

I can tell you that a Marshall AVT150 full stack is ass at low volumes, hence my reason for buying the little Spider III 15W. I just finished practice and the thing is totally awesome, I am really into it. Gives me clarity and crunch at low volumes ... cant ask for more!

I think most half stacks and bigger would sound pretty bad on volume 0.1 out of 10.

Post to Thread