Buzzy bass string only?

Updated
EclipseMan

Hi everyone

I recently installed EMGs myself for the first time and was a complete success. I decided I should now start to do my own set ups so I did. I used to play 10-46 gauge in Eb on my LTD EC256FM but went up a gauge to 11-50 which feels a lot better. However I have noticed buzzing primarily on the low E starting on the 6th fret and up. Same goes for the A string. All open strings are ringing clearly and so are all fretted treble strings.

I used a capo on the 1st fret and fretted the 12th and stuck a filler .006" feeler gauge between the low E string and 6th fret, and it lightly touched both. So I'm assuming the relief is at the sweet spot. I also adjusted my action at a comfortable height.

Any ideas what is causing the buzzing on the fretted low E and A?

Pushead

.006" may be too low. I run .010" at the 8th fret on my guitars (also fret at the 15th.)

Where are you measuring your action and how high is it under the bass strings?

Pushead

For reference, here's the numbers I use in my basic setup.

And here's a video I made going into more detail about how I setup my Eclipses (and every other electric I own.)

EclipseMan

Hey Pushead, Thanks for responding!

I use this https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Truss-Rod-String-Action-Gauge-Bundle/ to measure everything. For Action Height, I measure at the 12th fret while fretting the 1st fret. My action is now pretty high too. Low E at about 0.07.

I did the same steps in your video (I noticed you fretted more on the 17th fret where the neck meets the body) and I gave more relief since it was still buzzing. I adjusted a lot more little by little and measured again and the low E is still buzzing on the 6th fret and up. The A string is sounding better when fretted.

I don't know if I should give more relief because the 0.10 feeler gauge is now lightly touching the 8 and 9th frets and the low E. (I'm assuming that's the sweet spot)

Any tips to go from here?

Thanks again and awesome youtube channel! (I hope to have a dozen Eclipse guitars as well)

Pushead

I find that's the sweet spot for me. I know people who suggest .012" for relief. it's a small difference, but it may help.

You may also find that you'd benefit from a fret leveling and recrowning the frets. Having it done can make a big difference, but it is an expense. I think somewhere in the $100-150 range in my part of the world.

Post to Thread