ESP SH100 Pickup

Updated
ESP SH100 Pickup

Good afternoon all,

I’ve just purchased an ESP SH100 rail pickup. Just wondered if any of you guys know the colour coding at all please? 

The black and white wires are already together with heat shrink. Is it the green and bare (ground) and red the hot?

Many thanks in advance.

Darren 

metalhobo

bare will definitely be ground

as to the polarity of the green and red wires, that is an open question. I'm assuming you are wiring this in a guitar with other pickups already installed. your main concern is that the output of this pickup is in phase with the output of the other pickups when selected in parallel (assuming you're going for the standard "in phase" middle position, and not the duck sounding "out of phase" sound). unfortunately without knowing the polarity of your existing pickups, your best bet would be to try wiring the green to ground and red to hot like you said and try it out. if it sounds good then it is good. if it sound out of phase when the middle position is selected (the bass response will be super attenuated) then you can try reversing the green and red wires.

metalhobo

you know what, I'm not so sure about my answer any more. if you look at the picture of the modern sh100, you can clearly see that the green and red wires are going to the same coil: https://espguitars.co.jp/parts/945/

can you post a picture of your pickup? I want to see which wires are going to which coils. it's possible they changed the colors at some point.

metalhobo

according to this page: https://espguitars.co.jp/support/tech_service/#support (scroll down to where is says "ESP pickups") the color codes they currently use are supposed to be the same as seymour duncan's. I do not know if this color coding is the same as the pickup you currently have, which I assume is vintage, but a picture might be able to confirm it

Darren  C.

Turns out my SH100 isn’t working correctly. It’s only the south blade which is active. 
I get no reading in humbucker mode. Just a 7.47k ohm reading from the south blade. 

Shame as I was looking forward to trying this pickup out. 

metalhobo
Darren C. wrote:

Turns out my SH100 isn’t working correctly. It’s only the south blade which is active. 
I get no reading in humbucker mode. Just a 7.47k ohm reading from the south blade. 

Shame as I was looking forward to trying this pickup out. 

In case it wasn't obvious from my post, it looks like it's just wired incorrectly. it needs to be wired like a SD humbucker, where red and white and soldered  together and black is hot. should be pretty easy to get set up correctly.

Darren  C.

Thank you for the replies. The wiring on mine looks the same as in the link. It’s an older pickup from around 87. 
It’s going into an 87-88 model Lynch Kami 1 in the neck position. 

The original single coil is currently in there with the original LH100 humbucker in the bridge.

Post to Thread