Fishman Fluence install on ESP Horizon HRF NT-II

Updated
Fishman Fluence install on ESP Horizon HRF NT-II

Greetings

The below info has been posted here in case anyone may find it useful.

I replaced the pick-ups on my 2011 ESP HRF NT-II from Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-1n / AHB-1b, to Fishman Fluence “Killswitch Engage” signature model pick-ups. Although the Blackouts are awesome pickups, I found them to be voiced to low-end heavy for my taste.

Anyhow, keeping in mind that these are the first pick-ups I have ever wired; the challenge I found when replacing them was understanding how to wire the original ESP guitar switch (NKK M-2020, 3-way mini-switch) to the new Fishman wiring harness. As you can see in the image, the Fishman diagram shows a switch with 8 soldering lugs, while the original switch has 6. So, I was a bit lost as to which wire goes where.

To attempt to solve this, on the original switch and harness, I examined which cable was wired to what, and then matched that with the cables on the fishman wiring diagram (shown in drawn blue, red, and green). It worked out nicely!

Other notes:

• Due to the height of the Fishman push/pull-pots and the height of the ESP cavity, you will need to take most of the spacers off tone-pot (the ones that go inside the cavity) to make it fit (volume pot has enough space, with all the spacers).

• If you also want to fit the Fishman battery charger, it may be advisable to turn the pots with the soldering lugs pointing the opposite direction to one another - as to leave enough space for the charger.

• I put the Fishman battery in the 9v battery compartment, since there was limited space in the main cavity. I had to widen the hole a little between the 2 compartments with a file (careful with that nice paint job!).

• Are you also considering fitting Fishman's yourself, but are new to this? Know that it is quite complicated for a newbie, it takes considerable time and patience, and you should at least practice soldering a bit before attempting it. No I don' recommend it, but if you are happy with that and want to learn something, go for it! Obviously at your own risk ;-) Was super fun, and I'm stoked it worked out

\m/

Val

Austin H.

Thanks for the post man!  I’m actually putting some pups into the same guitar, fish man classics and this will help

me!!

Valiantz

Hey Austin. Thanks for your reply!
Stoked that it could provide some use.
Good luck man!   \m/

Dean D.

Hi,

In the install shown above is the bigger pot the volume (and is push/pull)? Are you able to not just use both voicings but are also able to coil tap between the two? And has anyone found a reliable install video? I found a Fishman one but it is for 2 volume/2 tone.

Thank You, Dean

I have an ESP Horizon II with emgs, 1 volume 1 tone control and 3 way standard toggle

daryl a.
Valiantz wrote:

Greetings

The below info has been posted here in case anyone may find it useful.

I replaced the pick-ups on my 2011 ESP HRF NT-II from Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-1n / AHB-1b, to Fishman Fluence “Killswitch Engage” signature model pick-ups. Although the Blackouts are awesome pickups, I found them to be voiced to low-end heavy for my taste.

Anyhow, keeping in mind that these are the first pick-ups I have ever wired; the challenge I found when replacing them was understanding how to wire the original ESP guitar switch (NKK M-2020, 3-way mini-switch) to the new Fishman wiring harness. As you can see in the image, the Fishman diagram shows a switch with 8 soldering lugs, while the original switch has 6. So, I was a bit lost as to which wire goes where.

To attempt to solve this, on the original switch and harness, I examined which cable was wired to what, and then matched that with the cables on the fishman wiring diagram (shown in drawn blue, red, and green). It worked out nicely!

Other notes:

• Due to the height of the Fishman push/pull-pots and the height of the ESP cavity, you will need to take most of the spacers off tone-pot (the ones that go inside the cavity) to make it fit (volume pot has enough space, with all the spacers).

• If you also want to fit the Fishman battery charger, it may be advisable to turn the pots with the soldering lugs pointing the opposite direction to one another - as to leave enough space for the charger.

• I put the Fishman battery in the 9v battery compartment, since there was limited space in the main cavity. I had to widen the hole a little between the 2 compartments with a file (careful with that nice paint job!).

• Are you also considering fitting Fishman's yourself, but are new to this? Know that it is quite complicated for a newbie, it takes considerable time and patience, and you should at least practice soldering a bit before attempting it. No I don' recommend it, but if you are happy with that and want to learn something, go for it! Obviously at your own risk ;-) Was super fun, and I'm stoked it worked out

\m/

Val

Thank you for the post !, I have esp hrf nt made in japan with the blackouts and I dont like them...I did put the fishman keith merrows in my shecter and will do the same for my esp . You description and pics are very helpful

Valiantz

Hi Daryl. Thanks for your message and glad it could help.
Good luck!

AK._47

Hi

Thank you for this, I just found this post when was thinking about doing exactly the same.

Quick question - is it worth to fit Fishman in Horizon II which has a switch working only in 3 positions, when Fishman pickups offers something like 7 different voicing (combinations), isn't it a bit of a waste of potential? I know it is nice to have something new for your guitar and Fishman has great reviews, so I'm thinking about it myself and thank you again for posting wiring. Was just thinking it would be worth to ask this question.

Thanks again and happy playing.

Valiantz

Hey there. I'd say the most important question to answer is whether or not you want the tone and behaviour of the new pick-ups (over your old ones) to the extent that you are willing to pay for it. Of course them being a novalty alone does not in my view justify the change (unless it inspires you to invest in more time playing). In regards to the options, the new fishman setup has push/pull on the volume and tone knobs so you get many options (not just the regular 3 switch option). For me I found the following: PRO: inspired to play more and try different pick-up options, I'm a KSE fan so was stoked to have the signature pick-ups, I got closer to the tone I was after, got rid of the heavy low frequenzy voicing of the former pickups, and my guitar is USB charged now (no more batteries); CON: complicated transplant (requires time, skill, and patience), a bit pricey. In the end was definitely worth it for me, but again - I'd say it most important question is in regards to the tone. Happy deciding! \m/

AK._47

Thank you very much, all that info is very helpful. 
You mentioned USB charger, so you probably won’t know what’s the difference in battery life between EMG and Fishman, if you do please post.

Thanks again

Valiantz

No, I don't know. However if you compare the battery specs side by side, it may give you an indication. Having said that, the fishman works great. No issues.

Post to Thread