How much spring tension is too much tension ?

Updated
How much spring tension is too much tension ?

Hello guys just restringed my mii and the bridge was flaoting away from the body so i to adjust it but tightening the springs but  i have no idea if it was tightened too much 

aprreciate your help 

Suheil A.
Suheil A. wrote:

Hello guys just restringed my mii and the bridge was flaoting away from the body so i had to adjust it by tightening the springs but  i have no idea if it was tightened too much 

aprreciate your help 

Pushead

If the bridge is level with the body, you have the right tension.

One thing I've read (but never experimented with) is that the springs should be parallel in the cavity instead of having two at an angle. The reason I read was that since the springs were all pulled to the same length, the trem movement is a bit smoother. I don't know if there is any truth to it, but since I've read it, I keep my springs parallel. I'm not really a trem guy, though.

Suheil A.

its sounds logical to me but honestly i dont have the guts to change the the springs and im not trem guy neither i just got a flydrose cause kirk got one 

my question is what could possibly go wrong if they were tightned to tha max or more than in it should be clould affect the neck ?

Pushead

It wouldn't affect the neck much. If you tightened them all the way, all that would happen would be the back of the bridge would tilt into the cavity until the bridge hits the bottom of the cavity.

Mark  O.

So I recently purchased a new m1000 black metal series and noticed the trem was a bit stiff to the point where I could barely dive into it . I can’t even get a flutter effect out of it . My bridge is as straight as an arrow along the body so  I have no problem there . Could anyone help me try to figure this out please ? I’d appreciate it very much . 

Pushead

I assume it still has three springs in it? What gauge strings are you using and what tuning to you use?

An interesting thing (to me, anyway) is to see how the springs are arranged and see if changing the arrangement has a noticeable effect to you. Try both the arrangement in the OP /|\ and the parallel arrangement and see if either helps you.

I've always wondered why there aren't trem springs marketed with different spring rates (stiffness) like they do with kick drum pedal springs. I mean, at the end of the day, the springs will all have to equal out the pull of the strings, but it could still make trem use a bit smoother.

Post to Thread