Can lower string gauge cause fretbuzz

Updated
Manan A.

I have bought a brand new EC 10 and it came with a .10 gauge daddario string set but I changed the strings to .09 gauge EB slinky.. and from next day onwards, 5 to 9th fret of B string started buzzing so I had to increase the string action. It's kinda uncomfortable to play it this way.. can this be because lower gauge strings cause less tention and the bow of the neck got flattened and that's why its buzzing? Also when I put a capo on the 1st fret and press the 24th fret (on B string specifically), the strings are virtually touching the 12th fret. Please suggest if going back to D'addario .10 will help resolve this issue because I remember that the guitar had no fretbuzz when I bought it.

Pushead

Yes, a change in string gauge will typically require a truss rod adjustment. Going back to .010s will likely fix the issue.

Manan A.

Thanks for such a spontaneous reply. Just one more piece of information for you Sir. When I was testing this guitar at the guitar store while buying it, I had put the capo on 1st fret at that time also and when I pressed the 24th fret, 12th was almost touching the strings (.10s) but since there wasn't any fret buzz at that time, I didn't ask the technician to change anything.. but if now with .09s also if there is the same problem, I'm almost sure that its the string gauge that is causing the problem as there might have come a little back bow (or a completely straight bow).  Also, I have checked with every technique I know that the neck bow of my EC 10 is very much straight right now. What do you think Sir?

Pushead

A straight neck isn't always the best setup.  Most guitars have a very slight forward bow (called relief) to allow the strings to ring clearly down the entire neck.

If you capo at the 1st and 14th frets, my setup usually has the strings between 1/16" to 3/32" (around 1.6 to 2.2 mm) above the 7th fret.

Manan A.

Okay. But since I have already raised the bridge a little to counter the fret buzz, shouldn't I bring the bridge height back to factory settings first and then start adjusting the truss rod? 

Because my reason for doing this is simple. First I need to undo the wrong adjustments I have made already and then take corrective actions to correct the neck relief!

what do you think?

Pushead

Sure, bring the bridge back down and put a bit of relief in the neck and see what happens.

Manan A.

Will do that!

Post to Thread