neck thru vs set thru neck

Updated
neck thru vs set thru neck

whats the difference between these two neck specifications?

Pushead

Neck through means that the piece(s) of wood that make up the neck run through the entire body of the guitar.  Wood "wings" are glued to the neck pieces to form the rest of the body.

Set through necks have similar, long connections between the neck and the body, but the body wood surrounds the connection on the sides and the back.  Most of the time, the set through style guitar will also have a body wood on top of the joint, as well.

Set necks are typically much smaller than a set through neck.

Clinton G.

oh wow ok so basically set thru is the same as set necks on les paul style guitars?

Clinton G.

also is set-thru the same as set thru neck? sorry for the dumb question, just making sure because esp has a couple different guitars with these listed specifcations and i'm just making sure of the differences. thanks

Pushead

Yes, set-thru is the same is set through neck.  Set through is similar to a Les Paul, but the tenon (the part that sticks into the body) goes much further into the body.

Clinton G.

nice thanks for the information. honestly, I'm a little sad the horizons don't come with neck thru, they always use to and thats what made them unique.

Stonecat

Thanks, Pushead for the info. I was wondering about the set-thru designs.

Rolando R.

I read that a cons on set thru necks is the inability of using a double locking tremolo bridge system. And here I am looking at the ESP E-II Horizon Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Reindeer Blue with it. Please educate me on how it was made possible. 

Pushead

There's no reason you couldn't use a Floyd on a set through guitar.

Stoian P.

I have MH1001NT and I love it. It is set-thru construction and I am very curious if anybody knows about how much into the body, the neck is going ? Is it under the TOM and where the strings are going through the body ? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Don E.

I have a PS-1000 and I love it. Like you, I'd like to know just how long the set through neck is. Did you ever find out? Anybody?

Pushead

Hi Stoian, I don't know. Possibly the best way to get a bit more information would be to pull the neck pickup.

Post to Thread