The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

wesley m.

This is the Arrow I guess the pics didn’t load on the first post I made. Hopefully they come through this time

wesley m.

wesley m.

I think I got it this time

Blake B.

Hi, new to the forum, new to ESP, found a $350 "ESP" on Facebook Marketplace and have my doubts.

Blake B.

Matt  S.

Picked up this viper 400  a little while ago, seeing if it checks out, I know the pickups have been changed to passive. Thanks, a lot of great info on this forum. 

taylor g.

What are the signs that an ESP guitar is imperfect? Minesweeper

Pushead

Woah, all of a sudden we're flooded with new posts here.

Wesley, stay away from that one. Of course, they're terrible photos, but even with those you can see the bridge isn't an Original Floyd Rose and that's not the logo they'd use on an Arrow, it's more of a Metallica thing. The truss rod cover is also wrong for an ESP.

Blake, you are correct. Stay away from that as well. It's super fake, though I wish ESP offered that color. The green inlays are a bit overkill. Even lefties aren't safe from fakes.

Matt, you win for the day with the only legit guitar posted, a 2006 LTD Viper 400. I don't think the wear marks were stock, though I know there were models that featured wear from around that time. Someone also upgraded the tuners for you. I really like those versions of the Gotoh Magnum Lock.

Matt  S.

Thank you, appreciate ya taking a look .  

Blake B.

Thank you. I thought the blurry custom shop logo was offputting and the lack of a 9-volt cavity was weird.

Mirza F.

Hi all, need your help on confirming whether this is fake or not... a friend of mine offer me this Alexi Laiho ESP custom shop.. but really not sure whether it's original or not

Justin V.

I bought this guitar over 20 years ago, when i was 16, and i found it in my parents basement. I assume it’s a fake. I do not remember how much i paid for it back then. 

Charles V.

Really love this guitar regardless of the refinishing. After research, if it’s legit I’m thinking maybe 2004-2012. Obviously it’s been refinished in a completely different color (seller states that it was) and doesn’t have any other mods expect a tremel-no. The back of the headstock is completely blank which is what I’m mainly concerned about, no serial number to go off of just the stamp where the bolt on neck connects. I love the OG look of ESP on the headstock before the rebrand. If it’s legit, seller is asking a fair price and I will definitely offer so please lmk what you think!

Pushead

Hi, Justin. Everything seems correct for an LTD EXP200. Is there any reason that leads you to think it's a fake?

Charles, I'd lean more towards 93-02 with the extra hand recess at the lower horn. The Floyd route looks oversized to me, but perhaps it's just the angle of the last photo. It also possibly has a second knob added. I suspect the bottom knob was where the toggle switch was because it looks like the toggle isn't exactly centered between the knobs.

The logo looks really good on the headstock, so I was surprised to hear it'd been refinished. I'd be interested in knowing if the seller has any photos of the guitar before it was refinished and, possibly, who did it.

Juan G.

Just purchased my first ever esp ltd f-50 and am new to the esp scene. Would love to know if this one is real.

Pushead

Hi Juan. As I said in the other thread, it's a legit F-50 from 2009.

Juan G.

Hey there! I'm sorry I didn't get a notification from the last post. Thanks a ton for checking!

Ben W.

Hi, got another KH2 NTB, everything looks ok to me on it but it’s going for a very low price which makes me slightly suspicious. Thanks in advance!

JuanPablo M.

Hello friends, please can help me with this LTD EC 1000.

I just need some help on this guitar that I saw in my local marketplace.

Hope you can help me check off this is real or fake.

Thanks

Post to Thread