The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

Hi Jim. It's hard to tell from just the one photo. The neck looks legit. The photo doesn't really show if the top of the guitar is flat or arched. If it's flat, it would be a TE body (or a series 400 body) as opposed to an Eclipse body. But the switch doesn't match any Eclipse or TE body I've ever seen. That doesn't mean much, I don't have a ton of experience with the guitars from that era.

Thomas R.

Hello to everybody, I Just saw this ESP, that seems to be a M1 NT, and wondered if it was a legit one !

Thanks in advance !

Sean L.

Hello to everyone, I just saw this Indenesia made EC-256. I was told this is a sample made in a factory and the price is really tempting.  Really hope somebody can tell me if it is legit. Thanks to everyone.

Pushead

Hey Thomas, your M-I is legit from 2013.

Sean, though it's odd to see it without any markings on the back of the headstock, there's nothing that jumps out to me as out of place with the guitar. Seem likely that it's a legit EC-256. It looks like it's had some work done to it, though. Maybe it's just the photo, but the nut looks to have been replaced, and perhaps not that well. It's also had the neck binding "rounded," though I don't have any experience with a EC-256 myself, so perhaps that amount of tool marks on the binding is normal. It wouldn't shock me if you find out that the guitar had been refinished at some point.

Sean L.

I see. Thanks a lot friend.

Ken C.

Hi guys, just wanna check if this ESP Snapper-7 Ohmura Custom is legit as it does not include a CoA.

Rob M.

I've already bought this one on Reverb and should have it for Friday. I've always played Gibsons and know how to spot fakes of them, but this is my first ESP and only after buying it did it occur to me that they can be faked too. Tuners and pickups have clearly been changed, but serial checks out as a 2006 so far as I can tell.

Pushead

Yep, a 2006 Eclipse II. You're also right with the replaced tuners and pickups.

Rob M.

Thank you so much for taking a look and responding Pushead!

JB

Hi, wondering if anyone is able to help me verify this ESP as legit?

Listing said an Eclipse / MA250FR made in Japan 2000. Seen on eBay/Reverb this week and got me curious as I can't find any record of this logo, knob combo and ESP logo on 12th fret in any archive. 

Thanks in advance for any help! I've been down a rabbit hole all day on this one

Edit:12th fret inlay says 'ESP' 

Pushead

Hey JB. It's legit, from the mid to late 90s.

JB

Thanks so much man, really appreciate your help and all the good work you do here. Spent hours going back through these threads out of interest. All the best

Robin S.

Hi, how about this LTD M1000? Supposedly MIK made in 2018. This one comes without OHSC, are they supposed to? 

Pushead

Hey Robin. Yes, it's legit and Korean made. It looks great in white! It's a 2018 model. I don't remember if the 1000 level guitars come with a case, but I suspect not. Any "strat style" case should work for it.

Robin S.

Thanks once again Pushead! 

scandipunk

Need a second opinion on this one. SV Standard, missing the 'Made in Japan' sticker, but comes with an ESP case. Price is $ 870 in case you're wondering.  

Georg M.

Hi,

ist this the right thread to ask about a M1000-HT KOA which I cannot find in the catalogues?

It has a fixed bridge, and Seymour Duncan Pups, but the type label is in the 12th fret and says M1000. The catalog model of 2017 has the label on the little plate above the neck nut and not in the frets.

Tthe catalog of 2016 however shows the same model name with the label in the 12th fret, but this one has a tremolo and DiMarzios. So that's not it.

What model is mine? Do I have to be concerned?

Regards, Georg

I tried to ad pics, but it doesnt upload...

Pushead

Hi Georg. ESP stopped the 12th fret inlay through the 2017 year for the 2018 models. It was found most often in guitars made in the second half of the year. If the photos above are your guitar, it's a 2017 model, and legit.

Georg M.

Thanks Pushhead, for the quick reply!

Douglas K.

Hello, I'm very interested in the guitar pictured below and was hoping you guys could let me know if there is anything sketchy about it or raises any red flags. Pictures are from the listing.

Post to Thread