Action Help

Updated
Nostradamus
Ok I recently changed the tuning on my Schecter from drop D to drop B. I'm using 12-56 gauge strings. The thing is, I have lowered the TOM as far as it can go and yet my strings are still really high at the high end of the guitar (like 0.7 cm off the fretboard at the 20th fret compared to 0.3 cm at the first fret!). I recently removed the neck from my guitar for a few days and am wondering if that could also be the culprit. Any advice?
DeathrollJM

make sure your nut is grooved correctly for the heavier strings.

metalhobo

truss rod

Nostradamus

I thought of the nut, but it doesn't seem to make sense since the action is still decent on the lower frets.
I also took a look down the neck and it seems straight. The action gets continually worse rather than there being a dip in the middle, which seems to suggest its not a truss rod problem, but I'm not an expert on these matters.

Bouncepogo

if neck relief is good (i.e just a very slight bow) and your nuts is cut correctly, the only other point of adjustment is the bridge.

Since the bridge is out of range, you are going to have to shim the neck to change the neck angle and make your bridge usable again.

I'd go to a tech

Nostradamus

OK, that was always my last resort

DeathrollJM

yeah on most bolt on tom bridges you have to shim the neck, usually no way around that.

Nostradamus

Put a shim in myself, has helped alot. Will see how it settles then make adjustments, thanks for the help!

Post to Thread