Different shops/factories? Educate me!

Updated
Different shops/factories? Educate me!

Hey everyone! I'm going to be ordering a custom this year and I've been trying to read up on the process/do my homework. One thing I keep seeing though is that there are different factories - Kiso, Takeda, Sado, etc.

Some are saying there is a difference in quality between them, is this really true? What has your experience been? 

And if true is this left up to the luck of the draw? Is there any way to influence where your custom is built? 

Funkfoot

Hi! I ordered a custom last year, so I might be able to answer some questions if you have any. 

I don't see a lot of people talking about the Kiso/Takada/Sado shop distinctions with regards to recent guitars. Whether this has to do with relocating workshops or just using a new serial number system is anyone's guess. My guitar was built in the workshop shown in this video, and I would imagine that most or all custom orders are built there;

https://youtu.be/btZey5TuSjI

I haven't a clue whether this is what is referred to as the Takada workshop. 

If you have any questions about my custom shop experience, feel free to ask! 

Kevin T.

Oh, cool video, very interesting! 

Nickey J.

Such a nice post you have added.

Alfonso L.

Kiso - Custom Shop set necks / neckthroughs

Sado - Custom Shop bolt ons

Takada - Custom Shop special/artist orders

Funkfoot

Are all those shops still active, though? And if so, how strictly do they divide up the orders among the shops based on the neck type?

Again, for reference, I had a custom set-thru made last year. It was made in the shop from the video I linked, which is the same shop that they make the exhibition/artist special guitars, which I guess is the Takada shop. Based on your information though, it should have been made in the Kiso shop, as I am not a sponsored/featured artist in any way.

Are you basing your information on the old serial numbering system, or is there a newer source on the current ESP shops in Japan, and their specialties?

I don't mean to sound argumentative, it's just a topic that interests me!

booboo

Thanks for the details. You seem to know your stuff! Any more info? Where can you find out about this kind of thing? I would love to do a factory visit one day, if that sort of thing is available. 

dubster82

How do you know yours was built at the shop in the video?

Funkfoot

Because I got in-progress photos of it as it was being built via my supplier, so it was pretty easy to figure out.

dubster82
Funkfoot wrote:

Because I got in-progress photos of it as it was being built via my supplier, so it was pretty easy to figure out.

What was the stand out thing in your photos that tied it to that specific factory over just a another guitar factory?

Funkfoot
dubster82 wrote:

What was the stand out thing in your photos that tied it to that specific factory over just a another guitar factory?

I think I might expose some sensitive details about ESP's shop if I revealed exactly what made me deduce it. But I do know for a fact that my custom was made specifically in the shop that appears in the video. What I don't know is whether that specific shop is Takada, Kiso, Craft House or whichever. But I'd be interested to know!

dubster82
Funkfoot wrote:

I think I might expose some sensitive details about ESP's shop if I revealed exactly what made me deduce it. 

I wouldn't of thought so given that it's in a video on the internet. 

Petra j.

Are all those shops still active, though? And if so, how strictly do they divide up the orders among the shops based on the neck type?

Again, for reference, I had a custom set-thru made last year. It was made in the shop from the video I linked, which is the same shop that they make the exhibition/artist special guitars, which I guess is the Takada shop. Based on your information though, it should have been made in the Kiso shop, as I am not a sponsored/featured artist in any way help with assignments

Are you basing your information on the old serial numbering system, or is there a newer source on the current ESP shops in Japan, and their specialties?

Davis H.

There used to be 7 workshop/factories back then
Kiso factory - Neck Thru/Set neck Original Series/Custom Order
Sado factory - Bolt On Original Series/Custom Order 
Takada workshop - Custom Order only
Nagano workshop - Custom Order only
Craft House - Custom Order only
Technical House - Custom Order only

Guitars being made at these places will have serial numbers starting with the initials, K, S, T, N, CH, TH
And a Tokyo factory that builds mass production Standard Series.

However, all these factories and workshops have been closed or stopped building guitars sometime around 2015~2016
All manufacturing were moved to the New Tokyo factory in Saitama.
Since then all ESP Original Series and Custom Orders switched to the new serial coding system which starts with the initial "E" (and ES for E-II)

*Craft House and Technical House are still in business, but they only do repair works and retail now.
*Last info I heard about the Takada workshop is that it is now a Custom workshop for Schecter Guitars Japan, not sure if it still is right now though.

Hope that helps.

Post to Thread