ESP OLD SERIALS REVEALED!!!

Updated
ESP OLD SERIALS REVEALED!!!

EUREKA!!! 

Hi guys! I've a great news...

After years and years of interrogatives on how it works, after looking lot of serials, I think I've understand how works the old format of serial numbers (before the introduction of the new system in 2000). If this is true I think I'm really helpfull for a lot of people here...

But I want the flag of "discoverer" of this!

Before year 2000 - 8 DIGITS stamped on the back of the headstock, I think the meaning is:

DDMMYNNN
DD = day of the month (01 to 31)
MM = month (01 to 12)
Y = last digit of the year (ex: 1992 = 2)
NNN = production number (000 to 999) (I really don't know if there's another subdivision here)

NOTE: year "7" can mean 1987 or 1997, "8" can mean 1988 or 1998...etc...you have to look at the model in production that year
EXAMPLE: the code of my MX-250 25023072 means the manufacturing date is 25.02.1993 and it was the 72nd guitar producted

For now all the guitars I've checked are right with this meaning...Let me know what you think about!!!

I also invite you to visit my website, 

http://www.GuitarsCollector.com

the ESP serial number section is here:

https://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html

Bone
Bone wrote:

Esp 400 series

Anybody see a four digit serial# I can't find anything on it at all. It's a 400 series, I have the neck but the box it's in is MIA. It has plain bent saddles and a single layer white pickguard and Bowen locking tuners. Can anyone date this guitar?

Riccardo ITA

WOW... Two ESP... can you make me a decode?retro

Enda O.

Hello all - great forum - I'm looking to buy a beautiful ESP strat but seller is unsure of original - thinks either an ESP Custom Shop USA or a Japanese model - see attached serial / model numbers and a few photos of components - appreciate any help in identifying - seller believes it's a Navigator but logo has been removed or is faded from headstock...

Enda O.

For some reason unable to upload photo of neck heel but same serial as body - heel end truss rod with serial stamped under truss - truss end is a cross 

Scott M.

So is this a 1999? Any other information about this guitar would be helpful. A guy wants to trade it to me for my LP Traditional Pro II and I can't find any information and he isn't even sure what model it is of an ESP (or the year). I am concerned that I would be getting a five hundred dollar guitar for a fourteen hundred dollar guitar. Any help would be appreciated.

GuitarsCollector

Yes 1999-09-25.

Scott M.

Is the model of this guitar an M-II? Any idea what the market value of it might be? From the pics provided can you see anything that might have been modified? Is it a "Custom Shop" guitar? Is it made in Japan? I read something on Wikipedia that brought the origin of it into question but the paragraph was a little unclear to me if they were referring the LTD line being reintroduced into the U.S. market after discontinuing it or if was "ALL" Japan made guitars. If it was "ALL" Japanese and since this a '99 then it would appear that it may not have been made in Japan. Below is the paragraph I'm referring to...

"In 1993, ESP moved its headquarters again but this time to Los Angeles, on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. In 1995, the LTD series was created to produce ESP's high-quality products at a more affordable price. Soon after the introduction of the Korean and Indonesian-made LTD lines, ESP stopped selling the majority of its Japanese made flagship guitars in the United States, due to the high prices involved in exporting to the Americas. The lone exception was ESP's artist signature series, which remained ESP (rather than LTD) models. In the early 2000s (decade), ESP resumed shipping the standard Japanese made lines to the United States (where they are very popular among heavy metal and hard rock players), though at greatly increased prices compared to the early 90s.[citation needed]"

Steve A.

What about this one?

FAIRUZ  M.

Can I know when is my ESP guitar model manufactured?

it’s serial no is L12060804

Andrew W.

Wondering: I will buy a custom shop from 2010 with the serial beginning with a T, which is Takada. But Llexi Leon (who's guitar I bought) visited their Tokyo shop and in the video the guitars also have T in their serial, is it the same place: Takada/Tokyo?

Andrew W.

Trying to find some info on my esp m-II. Serial number is 25499. Made in Japan or USA? I know it’s from 1997. Is it custom shop? 

GuitarsCollector

What you need more? You have the coa. Year, 1997.

On the back of the headstock is written "ESP Custom Guitars" ... and you are asking if is a Custom shop? Yes! Sure.

mulysa

\m/

haven p.

Please let me know, are you sad?

Monica A.

Made the mistake of showing my boyfriend my guitar now he is obsessed with finding out more about it. He has even roped my mother in on this. They are driving me nuts. Will someone please tell them more about this so they will get on with their lives?

GuitarsCollector

Dinh B.

Hi,

I have an ESP M-II circa late 80s-early90s. the serial on the backplate has only 5 digit "92020".  can anybody tell me when this guitar was made?

thanks

GuitarsCollector

I think 1992 ... since last 3 digits are normally the production number... and the "2" in this case is the year.

http://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html

Post to Thread