LTD Ouija natural - Cracked fingerboard

Updated
LTD Ouija natural - Cracked fingerboard

Dear member,

After around 1 year that I have received the guitar, I have decided to change the string gauge to 10-46.  Moreover, I had never change the string and oiled the fingerboard before.  So here what have happen:

1. I have place a saddle under the tremolo bridge;

2. I have loose the strings and cut them;

3. I have clean the freetboard with a rag;

4. I have put some Fretboard 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil started from the first fret to the last one;

5. When I have finish to oil the fretboard, I have notice one crack at the 1-2 fret and one at the 3-4 fret.

I am 100% sure that the cracks had appeared after I had applied the lemon oil.

Do you have any idea about the root cause and what should I do?

Pushead

That's a rough one, man. It's not completely uncommon, but a bit surprising on something so new. It's more often found on a board that has dried out, but it can also happen if the board has taken a hit or a severe and quick temperature change.

It can be fixed (or hidden) by using ebony dust in CA glue (super glue). Most reputable guitar techs will be able to do that for you.

If it makes you feel better, it has happened to me before on a Les Paul Custom. It was easily fixed and is very difficult to see unless you know what you're looking for.

Sucks to see that happen, man.

Philippe S.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are right, this is heartbreaking.

I have contacted ESP and my dealer and I will keep you informed.

ESP 348

What sort of warranty is on these LTD guitars? Anyone know?

Philippe S.

I have contacted ESP and they had asked me to contact my local dealer since I am not a USA resident.

I have then contacted my guitar shop who had contact the Switzerland dealer who did not even answer our warranty request.

To be honest, I do not understand this kind of behavior since the LTD KH Ouija Natural is the flagship of the brand and specially that it is a limited edition.  On the other hand, I do understand that fingerboard can crack and I am only asking for a repair under warranty.

Does anybody have a ESP contact that could help me or give me any advise about how to proceed.

Post to Thread