ex black metal neck dive

Updated
ex black metal neck dive

Just got this thing and the neck dive is brutal. Anyone have any tips for EX specific solutions?

metalhobo

move the strap button (the forward one closer to the neck). the goal is to move it as far "forward" as possible. neck dive happens because the torque exerted by the neck is greater than the torque exerted by the strap. you cannot change the torque exerted by the neck (well, you could slightly if you got lighter tuning heads, but that's another story...), but you can change the torque exerted by the strap. you do this by changing the length of the lever arm, i.e. the distance from the strap button to the center of mass. in a nutshell, you want the strap button to as far to the left as possible (assuming you're looking at the back of the guitar with the headstock pointing left). for the explorer shape this means the strap button is on back of the guitar, screwed into the neck heel.

look at where the strap button (the left one) is on the sd-2. that is the position you should try to emulate. you could even place it a little bit to the left IMO. my sd-2 has a slight amount of neck dive, but it's manageable with a nice thick leather strap. if you move the forward button and it's still not enough to get rid of the neck dive, you can also try moving the second button (the one normally on the butt of the guitar) to the back. the goal here would be to shorten the lever arm to reduce the torque in this case.

James M.

Thanks I appreciate the help!

Post to Thread