Esp ltd ec1000 - strings

Updated
Jeppe J.

Hi 

i bought a new ESP EC-1000 i use when i play heavy stuff. 
I want this guitar in 3 differnt tunings like drop A, B, and standard D and change the strings for Ernie Ball Mammoth 012-062, but the big E string sit on the top on the nut. 

i dont want to change the nut on a new guitar. 

Can somebody tell with strings theres fit in for these tunings ?

Chris G.

I have several EC-1000 and 10-46 (factory strings) work fine for D standard, but I'm guessing they will be too "floppy" for Drop A or B. Anything bigger than 10-46 (needed for drop A), will probably require nut adjustment. You are going to have to get the nut slots fitted/filed for the correct size. Any Guitar shop should have someone that can do this for you, if you don't have the tools/desire to do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Pushead

That's a pretty big range of tunings for one guitar. The guitar can handle the B standard and dropped A, but going up two steps from B standard to D standard will effect the setup (action, relief, string height) and so the playability will suffer.

You may consider saving for a second guitar and keeping one for the A/B stuff and the other for D/E stuff. Not the most economical solution, but probably the better way to have the guitars feeling good for each tuning range. I agree with Chris (above), Have the nut slot widened for you to run a set of strings you feel comfortable with in the low tunings. A professional setup really can make almost every guitar play better.

metalhobo

if you're asking which strings will "fit" in the nut the correct answer is 10-46. if you increase string gauge you should be recutting the nut slots accordingly to get the proper action and tuning stability.

The OG-V

@jeppe if you can afford it the best option is to really get a 7 string baritone for low tunings. They're built for low tuning and the nut is also set for a thicker top string. I put Hybrid Slinky's on my LTD TE-407 and then use a bottom bass string as my top string.

Post to Thread