LTD Snakebyte

Updated
LTD Snakebyte

Just recently picked up the black ltd snakebyte and was curious if the older gloss black version was superior to the newer matte black? 

Dominic D.

I doubt it. The gloss ones had sperzels on em but apart from that they are the same guitar in my opinion. As with the white ones. 

metalhobo

gloss finishes are inherently superior to matte

Justin S.

How so? Just curious I am actually picking up a 2015 gloss black soon and just curious how its inherently superior vs the matte.

metalhobo
Justin S. wrote:

How so? Just curious I am actually picking up a 2015 gloss black soon and just curious how its inherently superior vs the matte.

a few facets... 1. the gloss finish takes more work and and is more expensive to apply. 2. the matte finish tends to develop "shiny" spots through repeated contact, e.g. at the forearm position. 3. the gloss finish can be polished to remove light scratches, marks, or swirls, whereas if you scuff the matte finish you're screwed.

of course those are all objective. if you like the look/feel of the matte finish better, that's a different matter.

Drago
metalhobo wrote:

a few facets... 1. the gloss finish takes more work and and is more expensive to apply. 2. the matte finish tends to develop "shiny" spots through repeated contact, e.g. at the forearm position. 3. the gloss finish can be polished to remove light scratches, marks, or swirls, whereas if you scuff the matte finish you're screwed.

of course those are all objective. if you like the look/feel of the matte finish better, that's a different matter.

For my experience, there are much more differences than the finish:

1st: The early models were equipped with Sperzel tuners, later models were equipped with LTD tuners.

2nd: The early models were equipped with EMG 81/60, later models were equipped with the EMG Het Set.

3rd: The early models were equipped with a bone nut, later models were equipped with a plastic nut.

4th: The Wood: I recently bought a Snakebyte SW from 2011 and it is much more heavier than my BLKS from 2021 and it has much more sustain and a "heavier" sound.

5th: The Case: The case from the 2011 Snakebyte is sturdier than the case from the 2021 Snakebyte.

6th: The Build Quality: It seems that meanwhile Snakebytes are also? built in Indonesia where the obviously have some QC issues (I personally never got my hands on a Indonesian Snakebyte but read about it various posts). Mine 2021 is fortunately from Korea and has no quality issues.

So my opinion is: If someone is after a LTD Snakebyte the best way might be trying to get an older one in good shape it would be much more worth the money than for a new one.

I'm curious for the CAMO: How its build quality might be and if it'll be worth the money...

Dominic D.

The guitars themselves are not really any different or better depending on their finish. Thats just personal preference as to what finish is better 

metalhobo
Dominic D. wrote:

The guitars themselves are not really any different or better depending on their finish. Thats just personal preference as to what finish is better 

I never said the guitars themselves were different, aside from the finish. I said one finish was inherently superior, and I gave three objective reasons why in the post above. feel free to refute these reasons or provide counter-reasons.

Post to Thread