ESP LTD EC-256 Good Choice?..

Updated
todd c.

Hello All

New here but been playing for about 10+ years. Is this guitar a good choice? I am a lefty and the choices are limited. I have it but wifey wont let me open until Christmas . This is my first ESP/LTD. The problem is that the reviews I have seen have been mixed. Some say the pickups are not good and others say the tuners are junk. Not that I mind changing parts but If this thing is junk I will probably send it back. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rick F.

The quality of the pups totally depends upon your standards and what guitars you are used to using. My tuners keep the guitar in tune well, but changing humidity requires an occasional retune as you would expect.

For me, the pups and tuners as good as the pickups on any guitar in its price range. I read the same criticisms as you did.

IMO, they come from Modders who enjoy tinkering and upgrades.

I really enjoy mine and think it was a good buy.  I like it better than my Strat, but not quite as much as my ESP.

Rick F.

Minor edit:  Not ESP but Schecter.  Of course it costs $300 more.....

todd c.

Thanks for the reply Rick. I dont mind making the mods. I love to take cheapies and turn them into high-end guitars. Was just wondering about quality of this one. Guess I will know more tomorrow. Will post pics as well. 

Also, I see ESP offers LOTS of lefties. That is great. Looks like I will be adding more to my collection! 

Thanks again Rick. 

todd c.

I will find out tomorrow (Christmas) but what about the nut? What is it made of? Cant find it in the specs. 

*Nevermind - it says "Molded" which means I will need to change that out immediately. Too bad..:(

todd c.

As promised. Here is a pic. The other is an Oscar Schmidt. This style is no longer available as Gibson is suing them! So far the ESP needs a better nut and the frets are VERY unlevel. I can fix both of those. 

Thanks!!

Georg
todd c. wrote:

Some say the pickups are not good and others say the tuners are junk.

EC-256 is a rather affordable guitar, so you could (and probably should) upgrade the pickups and tuners if necessary.

Unlevel frets are definitely a much bigger problem.

Post to Thread