New Pickups for my EC-1000

Updated
ammar
Hey there guys, i have an EC-1000 in Vintage Black. I was wondering for a while how will it look with gold pickups. Finally made up my mind and decided to get a set of EMG golds. I also have an EX-400BD with 81/60 combo. So, shall i go for the X series 81/60 combo or the regular EMG 81/60 ? And how difficult it is to install the new pickups, i haven't done it before and never soldered before (if soldering is required). Thanks
loversmoon

i just dropped an 85/60 in my epiphone and it is simple as pie. all quick connect. no soldering needed. I would suggest sticking with the reg EMG with the 18v mod for more headroom.

ammar

Thanks for the reply, but i am not that handy and an 18v mod calls for another battery cavity right? i cherish this guitar!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Explorer45

I've done the 18V mod with my EC1k, no problems fitting two in the cavity.

ammar

Hey thanks for the insight, what are your takes on the EMG-X's? Will it make any difference? and anyone have an EC1k in VB with gold pickups :).

Thanks

Explorer45

If the question was directed at me, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I haven't tried any of the new X series. Though I love the sound of the regular 81/60 combo, I doub't I'll change them.

Btw, you have a great taste in guitars dude. I've also got an EX400BD. ;) It still has the 81/81 combo, allthough I've been meaning to switch to 81/60.

ammar

If the question was directed at me, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I haven't tried any of the new X series. Though I love the sound of the regular 81/60 combo, I doubt I'll change them.

Btw, you have a great taste in guitars dude. I've also got an EX400BD. ;) It still has the 81/81 combo, although I've been meaning to switch to 81/60.

Hey thanks man, yeah it was a dream guitar for me, but i have a problem with it, maybe you can help. I have the bridge height very very low, almost touching the body (The plate) and its not comfortable to play that way,if i increase the bridge height, then the action is unbearable at all. Tips please :D

Explorer45

In what way is it uncomfortable when the bridge is low?

ammar

Palm muting, since my right hand will be at a somehow awkward angle.

exhibit-sbt

kind of an expensive pickup swap for the same pickups right? If I were to spend the coin, I'd go with the x-series.

ammar

Wise.

Thanks

mbm88

Go with the standard 81/60.

ammar

Please elaborate

cecilbag

I have tried the new x series emg and while I do think they are an improvement if you were going to go thru the trouble to swap I'd actually go with the seymour duncan blackouts I thought they were a ton more lively sounding and cheaper or the duncan livewires sound like a good set of passives that retain clarity in ultra high gain but everyones taste is different

ammar

Yes, i heard that the blackouts are great, but for some other guitar not this one. Thanks for the input.

Murdoc

How about just the plain-jane combo of two EMG 81's..... is anyone opposed to that?

EvolutionVII

Direct replacement since it will be the solderless system ...

ammar

Direct replacement since it will be the solderless system ...

So the current pots, wiring and jack are compatible with the new pickups? I just have to drop them in?

Thanks

ammar

Very helpful guys, thanks.

ammar

Just got a quote from Pro Audio Land for $250 shipped. (EMG-X 81/60 Gold)

What do you guys think?

deus ex machina

EMG X's use the same connectors. They use different active tone pots, tho. If you don't use a tone pot, that's alright.

cecilbag

Please post some pics when you finish. I'm considering this swap on my vb also or silver ones on my black cherry (older ts dual 81). The clips online sound great with the x series

ammar

EMG X's use the same connectors. They use different active tone pots, tho. If you don't use a tone pot, that's alright.

Meaning i have to use the tone pot included with the pickups?

Post to Thread