ESP LTD EC-50 Pickups Upgrade

Updated
Hor
Hello guys, I'm a proud owner of a ltd ec-50 and I thinking about upgrading the pickups. I'm such a beginner so I think the stock pickups are ok but I think I can get better tone by upgrading them. I would like to make you a few question to help me decide what to do. Does it worth to upgrade pickups of this Basswood body, bolt-on neck guitar? Would it be any differences? Im thinkin about buying an EMG H2 set passive humbuckers, cause I don't wanna mess around with the battery thing. I'm also checking Seymour Duncans like JB, '59, distortion I've heard about Dimarzio X2N, what about them? I want it to be passive humbuckers 'cause I want my guitar to be versatile. I like to play metal from Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica to Lamb of God, KSE, etc. But sometimes I like to remember my Guns 'n Roses times and play things like U2, Red Hot Chilli peppers, Sting and stuff like that. Maybe I'm asking to much and I should get a Variax (just kidding) If it has to be active pickups I would definitely get EMGs 60/81. If it worth to upgrade this guitar, what would you recommend?
slovakzombiehero

Just save the money and put it towards a better guitar.

brandono61cr

Just save the money and put it towards a better guitar.

+1

load more replies (1 of 1)
slovakzombiehero

I mean, it might improve the sound a little, but overall I think you'd benefit from upgrading to the 400 series more.

slovakzombiehero

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

slovakzombiehero

-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

dawg

Instead, save for something with a mahogany body. The bolt on isn't a huge deal.

Hor

Here's the thing:
I own a EC-50 made in china stock pickups black satin and I just receive a totally bargain EC-50 EMGs 60/81 black made in indonesia (I think is it made in 1997)

I will just keep one and sell the another one but I think the one made in indonesia is agathis body and china's one is basswood.
I've heard some of you preffer basswood over agathis so if i'm keeping the basswood one I must switch pickups (huge work on that).
I just dont think I wont be much differences into putting the EMGs in the baswood guitar or leaving then in the agathis guitar. What do you think about ir?

Both guitar are in perfect condition.

DUKE

Just my opinion, but I'd keep the basswood-bodied EC and load the EMGs in it.

I had my F-50 (Indonesia/agathis) with an EMG set before, but I liked the EMGs (switched between an 81 and 85) better in my Alexi-200 (China/basswood).

brandono61cr

well the tone wood becomes void after you put EMGz in it

SpicyPickles

They are both EC-50's so the tonal benefits of agathis over basswood at that level are null. One sounds like shit with dirt on it and the other sounds like dirt with shit in it. Sell them both and get a higher end guitar with better woods and pickups.

load more replies (1 of 1)
DUKE

Take the EMGs from one of the 50's and put them on the 256 when you get it. :P

And I'd the EC-256 would probably be on par with the LP Standard. If you really want to get the EC-401, try looking for it used. You might get lucky and find one at a good price.

blistered earth

yeah the batteries dont need changed that often i know someone tho who changes em 2x a month just cuz
another friend of mine has had em in one of his guitars for 4 years and has changed em once

brandono61cr

i have a blackout thats running 18v and i change it twice a year , not cause they are out just i get paranoid .

a lot of it has to do with battery quality too , in my experience with 9vs you get what you pay for

Sutekh

if you are a total beginner, you wont be able to really appreciate the better pups. go to stores and play lots of guitars with different kinds of pickups. dont waste your money on a new guitar for a while
honestly, for as long as you need to ask people which guitar is better than which, you are not ready for a new guitar, and you might end up regretting spending the $$

besides a crappy guitar still sounds great through a killer amp.

well, thats my opinion

Hor

Thanks to all for your answers!

See ya!

Brice B.

I've got an EC 50.

The bridge pick up is shot(I believe)... It was actually crushed in when I got the guitar. I attempted to repair it,  but very little sound comes from it... I'm considering replacing that bridge humbucker with a p90.   Maybe an  epiphone version, or an aftermarket brand.. I understand the Dog-eared versions of p90s will fit in place of a humbucker... is this correct? Or would there be another idea/ suggestion that would be recommended?

Lay some ideas on me....

Thanx for your suggestions ahead of time!

Post to Thread