Calling all whom tune to B!

Updated
uberwigget
Well ok I've been thinking about setting up my guitar(m200fm) for B standard tuning. Hopefully wont get bashed for this but I'm just wanting to see if any of you guys with Ltd's have set up your guitars to B and actually had a playable guitar. I made a trip to a local tech and ALL HE DID was talk me out of it and tell me how I should never set up my cheap guitar for such a low tuning and thick strings. He wouldn't stop telling me to go with a baritone guitar or some sort of 7 string. Seeing as I don't quite have the funds for something new at this point in time and I'm a guy thats up for a challenge, I'm really wanting to "throw her into b tunin." And ooh the questions...Here they come! How many of you actually have set up your 6 string ltd guitar to B or maybe at least C? And actually had it playable with little to no crazy buzz? What gauge strings did you use? And also If I'm not mistaken, the only difference of a 6 string baritone guitar and an normal 6 stinger is the scale length? Wouldn't that really be the only thing that could make them play any better anyways? Your input is greatly appreciated thanks!
Tsmith541

I tune my guitar to drop A sometimes to write some riffs. I dont really have any fret buzz at all. I just use UBER HEAVY STRINGS. By UBER HEAVY STRINGS I mean the baritone standard strings (13-57) that D'Addario makes. But I generally keep it in C std. with the slinky light top-heavy bottoms

uberwigget

What are the gauge of the light top heavy bottoms you use?

hollowcrown

I play both my 6 strings in my bands tuning which is A# (half step down from drop B)
string gauge we use 11-60 (which is a packet of ernie ball beefy slinkys but throw away the 54 and buy a 60 gauge instead for the 6th string) and its set up well enough so that I don't need to buy a 7 string or a baritone. You might need to fiddle about with your truss rod for a little while to get it right. You wont completely get rid of all the buzz but its certainly playable. Hope this helps

PhantomsRock

I tune my guitars to B as well for a few projects. Some guitars need 13-56 and some of my guitars can do it with 10-52s in my experiences, depending on neck length. Your tech's nuts. My tech will say "dude, just get a baritone!" but then he sets my guitars up in B without question.

Who gets payed to do something and convinces you to NOT do it?? haha

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mr Incredible

I use 12s on the guitar I have tuned to C standard, but I agree, why not go with a 7 or a baritone for B?

LTDnut

What I do is I buy a 7 string set of strings, and put every string on except the high E. So you basically have a 7 string without the high E. It works well! I put it on my EX50 and it works just fine. Action is just above 1 milimeter.
you don't NEED a baritone or 7 string.

brandono61cr

i have a mh-250 that has a blocked tremelo and i play any thing from slayer to megadeth to slipnot , so with the blocked trem i find no proble tuning to drop A and A standard , i use 10 - 52 and 10 -46ish strings .
hoestly your best bet would be to get a chepo baritone guitar , the only difreance between a normal and brari is scale standard is 25.5 and 24 3/4 in however a bari is a 27in . BUT if you get a bari you CAN'T tune to normal or the neck might break !!

ridner

I use EB Not Even Slinky 12-56

twiztedchild

I use EB Not Even Slinky 12-56

that may have been the ones I used then, it was like 4 years ago lol

Farpoint

I've done exactly this with a Viper 401FM (black). The only major change required was a custom nut; I used brass. String gauges are 14-18-28-38-48-65B (B=bass string). I originally thought about using GHS Zakk Wylde 11-70s, but these were too loose when tuned down to a B. Overall, I'm very happy with this conversion; it's surprisingly easy to play, and the heavy strings are a great match with the EMGs. This isn't for shredding, though; this guitar is just for rhythm, riffing, and mood, if you will. Very end-of-the-world, if you're into metal.

I must take issue with the "cheap guitar" comment, though. Higher-end LTDs are not cheap guitars! I have five Les Pauls, all Gibsons, and I'd put my Vipers up against any of them, or any of the high-end guitars I own, for quality, tone, playability, and finish. I liked the 401FM so much I also bought a white Viper 401, which I keep in standard tuning. It's a great, great metal guitar, once properly set up, anyway. My only complaint is that both are slightly top heavy, but nothing that can't be managed. I've seen much worse.

So if you want to tune all the way down to B, the Viper 401 is a great platform for this, and I highly recommend going this route.

Post to Thread