Mid 80's strat, happy for any info on this

Updated
Mid 80's strat, happy for any info on this

I recently bought this lovely ESP strat. I can't find any other online that looks like it (there are pictures of this particular one though, that the seller posted recently), and I'm wondering if it might be some kind of custom shop build.

Two-piece dragon burst alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 21 frets, black plastic nut, brass hardware, slightly see-through pick guard, old black and gold ESP logo, tiny ESP stamp on the plate where the neck is attached to the body, no visible serial or country of origin. I have not taken it apart, so I don't know if there are any stamps or markings inside.

Pickups and pots look a little too white to be original, unsure about the pick guard. Schaller tuners that seem to be newer than the bridge hardware.

There's a story about this guitar which I have no problem believing, but which I can't verify: It's supposed to have been first prize in a competition held by a music store in England – seller wasn't sure whether this was in London or Manchester – back in about 1985. It was then passed on to a relative if I remember correctly, and then to the seller. It's safe to say it hasn't been played a lot over the years, or at least it's been handled with great care.

I am no ESP or strat expert, but I recently borrowed a Fender American Elite strat, and at least for me this feels and plays as good or better. You know the feeling when you pick up a really great guitar and realize after a while "damn, I didn't know I could play THAT good." 

Post to Thread