2 x 2012 Eclipse yet seem different?

Updated
dd1983

Hi guys, 

I bought both of these from ebay, the vintage one first maybe six months ago and the black one only last week, and whilst they play differently due to tunings, string gauge and pickups, they don't seem like the same guitar they should otherwise be. The black one hangs better, (could be better strap?), they have different control knobs (could be vintage style vs contemporary?), different action (black could be better set up?)....it's hard to put in to words, but I bought the black one on the strength of the vintage one which I liked so much I bought the same guitar in a different colour, or so I thought, and the black one blows it out of the water. I can't compare the sound as they are deliberately different.

I presume they are both legit? Any clues in the s/no's? Or is it just me with 'new guitar syndrome?' You guys know your stuff, so educate me!

Thanks!

Pushead

Even enlarging the photos, I can't quite get in close enough to read the serial numbers, but from the images I see nothing that jumps out as concerning.

The black one would have been called an Eclipse I CTM PL (I think that's right for the time period) because it was modeled after the Paul Landers LPC. I think shortly thereafter they called it the SB for silver binding. I don't quite remember, but you can still find E-II models in that setup (with 3 knobs instead of 4.)

I would say that setup differences make up the majority of what you're feeling as different. Realistically, they're about as different as similar guitars can be, according to your post. Different strings/tunings/pickups/knobs...

I'd suggest taking both to a reputable tech near you and tell him to setup both guitars (or make the one you don't like as much play like the one you like more.)

And if that doesn't work, sell me the black one.

Or the vintage white one.

Or both.

I have issues.

dd1983

Cheers pushead (the pushead? If so I've got about three of your designs as tats....!)

Thanks for the info - I bought the vintage on the strength of good pictures - I didn't realise how yellow it was....it plays like a charm, but it's yellow. Yellow. No one wants a yellow guitar.

Anyway, I have a good friend who, whilst he isn't a tech, knows his stuff and has sorted out my floyd equipped guitars better than I could myself, so I'll let him have a gander. 

Incidentally, whilst we're on eclipses - would you know if the JH Sig Iron Cross 'feels' like this model eclipse? As in, the weight, shape, balance etc - all things being equal is it the same as this (these) guitar(s)?

Pushead

Not the Pushead. It's a nickname I was given based on my last name while I was young.

The Iron Cross is the same as the Eclipses you have.

If it makes you feel better, I have a 41 year old "white" guitar that is significantly more yellow than your Eclipse. That's just how those old nitro finished guitars look. I think ESP did a pretty good job getting the feel of that aging.

Post to Thread