Swapping 60 for 85

Updated
ESPdude
Hello, just thought that I might be able to get in a quick question. I was thinking about swapping the EMG 60 on an Eclipse for an 85 in the neck. This seems to be a pretty popular modification. I just wanted to check and see how simple it really is. I have come to understand that the EMGs have that quick connect, so do you literally just unscrew the old pickup and disconnect it then plug up the new one and screw it in? Nothing else to change? Thanks so much.
ToRo Pj0tR

Just like that...

Bridge The Void

Yes. Don't do it though, 60 is much nicer in the neck than the 85 IMO. Put it in the bridge instead :p

xcc

to change emgs is easier than changing strings;) I would put an 81 in the neck tho, and if you really want an 85 on the guitar for some reason, put it in the bridge;) it's too boomy for the neck IMO

njrusmc

Hey ESPDude, I am considering trying a 60 in the neck of my guitar in place of the 85. Want to consider a trade? I am assuming your pickup is in mint condition, without scratches or defects, as mine is. PM me if you are interested.

espdood

I love the 60 in the neck. Sound's like an active vintage pickup..lol. The 85 sounded too thick and fat for my tastes.

njrusmc

How would you compare the two (60 vs 85)? I like the 81 sound, more throaty and thrashy. The 85 is kind of fat for my tastes as well.

Post to Thread